Liquids to Puree! When?

malindagutierrez
on 7/23/04 1:06 pm - Union Mills, NC
I had surgery on Monday, July 12th, doing great and have not gotten sick from anything liquid--Thank god! They say in 2-3 weeks to go from liquid to puree-when did you switch over and when you did what did you have?? Thanks for your input!
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/04 1:14 pm - Somewhere Else
I was put on puree 2 days after my surgery. Had my surgery on the 7th, and now I'm having a combination (liquid, puree and REAL food) depending on my mood and my appetite. Then again, I was eating toast about a week after surgery. Linda
malindagutierrez
on 7/23/04 1:23 pm - Union Mills, NC
Linda, Are you still losing eating toast and other "food" I am doing soup, applesauce, sugar-free ice cream pops, and especially water! I am down 26 pounds since surgery on the 12th, only 12 days out, I just want to continue with such wonderful results, and do not want to get sick! Thanks for you're response!
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/04 9:21 pm - Somewhere Else
Hiyas Malinda... Yes, I'm still losing weight even eating real foods. You can't expect to continue to lose so fast forever...and you have to start adding real foods to your diet eventually, unless you plan on being on liquids for the rest of your life For now what I do...one meal I'll have some food with substance then the others I'll have my puree and liquids. Some days I won't have any real foods at all, just because I'm not in the mood for them. You have to get back to eating like normal eventually, don't be afraid to eat..and don't let a slight slow down in loss stop you either. It isn't realistic to think you'll lose so much so fast all the time, it isn't really healthy either, eventually it has to slow down, that's only natural. I'm still losing an average of a pound a day....that's incredible! And keep drinking tha****er, that's more important than anything at this stage...also remember...don't just go by the scale...women have it hard...we can retain up to 20 pounds of water at a time..so the scale is our enemy! Good luck..and don't worry, you're going to continue to do great Linda
Great_Sphinx
on 7/23/04 4:44 pm - Medina, OH
My dr has us wait 10 days after surgery before starting on pureed foods. Me... I started purrees last saturday... one day early and I ended up back in the hospital and had to stay on liquids until tomorrow (or today I guess... it is 2:40 AM here) Please be careful when going to pureed foods. Eat exactly what your doc says... I almost ended up going into surgery again for an intestinal blockage. I would hate for that to happen to anyone else.
malindagutierrez
on 7/24/04 4:10 am - Union Mills, NC
Thanks for the inout, I am 12 days out, and was wanting to mix things up alittle and was just scared to do so, I just ate some spag. sauce (two tbsp and it was okay so far. What are you eating now since you had to go back in the hosp.? How did you know that something was wrong? I am just five days behind you so was wondering! Best wishes to you, Malinda Gutierrez
Great_Sphinx
on 7/24/04 7:56 am - Medina, OH
Spag sauce? Yummy! Just make sure you puree it. It can still contain pieces that are too big. My dr said that when you get out of surgery, your stomach opening and the opening at the food loop and the bile loop is no bigger than a straw. It is very easy to get foods (even soft foods) stuck at one of these openings. That's what happened to me. I'll explain more about that later. Since I got out of the hospital, I have been on the liquids only diet. Protien shakes/drinks, diluted juices, soup... blenderized ans strained, broth, sf jello, sf pudding, sf frozen fruit bars, and sf icecream. This morning, I was able to eat something else! Yippie!!! I had runny cream of rice mixed with an egg beater and an oz of cheddar cheese (melted as I cooked it). I only made one "serving", but I was only able to eat half of it. I also had a 6 oz serving of sf yougurt... no seeds or fruit pieces. Make sure that what ever you eat is runny. Any thicker and it may become stuck and cause a lot of pain. That brings me to what happened: The entire story is in my profile, but here it is in a nutshell. I ate some veggie lasagna. I took out the veggies and chewed VERY well. Baiscally, it was soft noodles, ricotta cheese and sauce. I thought that if I chewed well enough, it would be fine. It wasn't. I started having back pain that night and the pain in my front started that morning. It was getting so bad that I started taking my narcotic pain meds again to make it go away. I had some food in the morning, but the pain just intensified. By eveining, my food was not emptying out of my pouch. I could not drink any water. During the middle of the night, I got nausiated and threw up. I drank some water, but that wasn't leaving my pouch either. I didn't sleep... I couldn't sleep (even with the pain med) and by 5am, I was in so much pain it wasn't funny. I called the doc and they had me go into the ER. I had an elevated amount of pancratic enzymes and was very dehydrated. I also started havong diareah. That was my godsend. I ended up getting whatever was stuck, unstuck. They did a cat scan and everything turned out ok, but they said (after I was admitted for observation) for some reason (whether it was related to what I ate or a post surgical complication, I will never know), I was having a chemical pancriatitis (sp?). Like I said, the full version is in my profile, but that is it in a nutshell. If you are having a problem, you will know. I was not hurting... until then. If something is stuck, you will NOT be able to get anything down. My water was hovering up in my throat. Pretty yucky. Elisabeth
Adrienne C.
on 7/25/04 11:29 am - Mahwah, NJ
Hi Malinda, I went from liquids to puree before they let me out of the hospital. I had my surgery last Monday, 7/19 (tomorrow is a week) and I came home on Wednesday, 7/21. I tried a pureed hamburger but after 2 tiny bites I got really REALLY bad pains. Next day I tried tuna salad I made and pureed - same pain reaction. Next day I tried cooked, pureed chicken....again, same reaction. I guess it's too soon. I've been eating applesauce, cream of wheat/oatmeal, jello, a protein shake (Designer Whey) mixed with sugar free Axelrod (any flavor you like) yogurt and ice cubes - mix in blender - I have to have one a day....not bad. I tried refried beans with a tiny bit of low fat cheese melted on top. It worked !!! It's my new favorite food. Best of luck to you - - best of luck to both of us.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views