Crush pills?

melissab
on 7/23/04 7:17 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
Okay, so I'm obviously going to ask my surgeon this next week (WOOHOO 5 days till surgery!!!!!!) ... but wanted to know what you are all told by your surgeons? Seeing as we aren't supposed to have chunks etc, are we supposed to crush our pills? I have heard a rare few on the boards mentioning how icky their pills are crushed up, but for the most part just hear about meds that are taken, with no mention of how they are taken? I did buy a pill crusher/splitter 2in1 gizmo to be on the safe side (save rushing out to get one postop if it is required). So what are all your experiences??
Dj _.
on 7/23/04 7:30 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Melissa, I broke my pain med in half and then rolled it in a little bit of jello and swalled it that way. Worked well. Deb
joyce W.
on 7/23/04 7:46 am - eliot, me
I had surgery on July 8th. I also take pills for high blood pressure, thyroid,etc... They do taste gross crushed up but one of the reasons for me having the surgery was to improve my health. Hopefully with the weight loss I can eventually get off my meds. The best thing I have found so far is yogurt to take them in. I still need to swallow it without chewing but it tastes better than unsweetened applesauce. I just make the yogurt my one snack per day that I am allowed on stage three of the diet. While in the hospital I was on I.V.'s and the staff gave me meds through the I.V. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!
IrishIze
on 7/23/04 9:59 am - NJ
I had my surgery on the 19th. I bought one of the crusher/splitter things too and I'm glad I did. I only use it to crush the pain reliver (Percocet) because that's a big hard pill. I take the other ones just the way they are - most of them say that they should not be crushed or broken. I asked this same question on the main board, and most people said they take them whole. Good luck with your surgery! Nancy
Great_Sphinx
on 7/23/04 4:47 pm - Medina, OH
I also crush my pills. I am on Effexor and it is NASTY crushed. I found the best way to take it is to mix it with some grape juice and water. It is pretty bitter, but grape juice is pretty strong... even when diluted.
Adrienne C.
on 7/25/04 11:10 am - Mahwah, NJ
Hi Melissa - I had my surgery (LAP RNY) on 7/19 - tomorrow will be one week. I got home Wednesday afternoon. I'm on several medications since before surgery and now they added Actigall to prevent gallstones. Some are capsules; some are pills. The capsules need to be opened and the pills need to be crushed - not split. I got a pill "pulverizer" and it totally crushes the pills. They taste really nasty. It's not pleasant at all to deal with taking your meds this way but it's only for a month - then you'll be healed enough to hopefully be able to swallow pills/capsules again. I've been taking them with applesauce - no sugar added. I try to take most of my meds early in the morning to get it out of the way so I can space out the chewable stuff - Flintstones multivitamins, chewable calcium, and pepcid for gas throughout the day. Taking them will fill you up. Best of luck to you on your surgery. I'm so glad mine is over. Soon enough you'll be able to say that !!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views