Liquid Diet Before Surgery?

Leslie A.
on 7/23/04 7:05 am - Windsor Locks, CT
My surgery is scheduled for July 29. Yesterday (1 week out) I started a liquid diet since I am having lap RNY. I am really having a difficult time and have not read much about others having to do this. I am told this shrinks the liver which makes it easier to manuever the instruments around. Have any of you had to do this or will be doing this? Leslie
melissab
on 7/23/04 7:08 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
I have heard other people doing this to shrink the liver. I am happy I only have to do it for the day before surgery.
Deejay
on 7/23/04 7:24 am - Sparks, NV
I really feel for you. I only had to do it the day before and that was hard enough. I can't imagine them making you do it for a whole week, that is torture IMO. I can see after surgery, but not before when you have a regular stomach. I'm sorry.
Dj _.
on 7/23/04 7:32 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Leslie, I'm sure this must be very hard, try to hang in there and just remember that your doctor is doing everything he can to keep you safe and healthy...you've left it in his capable hands...BUT THIS, this is something you're in control of. The more you lose this week, the easier it is for him to ensure your safety and speedy recovery! Deb
Irene S.
on 7/23/04 11:30 am - NJ
My doctor doesn't require anything. Nothing from midnite on of your surgery day. I plan on eating light the day before. But I agree with all the other posts encouraging you to do the routine that your surgeon wants. You trust enough to put your future health in his/her hands. A week of liquid dieting is what they find works best for their patients, so go for it. The worst is the first 48 hours. It gets easier after that. I did optifast for 16 weeks, of course that was 15 years ago. When you think it's unbearable, remember me. I made it and so will YOU! All the best! irene
dana W.
on 7/23/04 1:22 pm - fort worth, tx
hi leslie, i was just informed yesterday that i was approved for surgery. went today 7/23/2004 at 8 am for my 1 on 1 meeting with the doctor. s/w the lady that does appointments for surgery and B - A - M was told i could have the surgery on july 29th. but the doctor told me to only do 1 day liquids the day b4. my hats off to u ,, but i'm with your other writer if your doctor feels this is best 4 u then please try to do your best. oh yeah i forgot my surgery date is 7/29/2004 also. at baylor and u?
catlow
on 7/23/04 1:34 pm - Great Falls, MT
Hi Leslie, I too am on a liquid diet...starting tomorrow (Saturday). My surgery is Tuesday. I was told that 1) its easier to do this than to have the ol' lax/enema done, 2) too many times, food is undigested at surgery...especially red meat as it takes 3 - 4 days for red meat to leave the stomach and 3) for hydration. Hope this helps. Sorry you have to do it for one week. I am amazed at how DIFFERENT all of the Drs and hospitals are when it comes to this surgery. Different diets, different pre-op routines, different tests...My doc was so casual about it, gave me notebook to read and said, "I don't care what you hear or read, you follow MY program and MY rules" I mean he was nice about it, but... Take care GOOD LUCK!!!!
Bonnie B.
on 7/23/04 2:18 pm - Seffner, FL
Hi Leslie! You know the old saying: There is always someone better off than you and someone else worst off....well, you have heard from those better off now hear from someone worst off. I will be on a liquid diet for at least 2 weeks before my surgery. I have a fatty liver which has now gone into early stage of cirrhosis. I must get that ole liver shrunk before lap rny. Look at it this way, you will be prepared for the post-op diet. God bless. Bonnie Bee
malindagutierrez
on 7/23/04 2:36 pm - Union Mills, NC
Leslie, My Dr. had me do liquids the day before surgery, and he told my husband I had the smallest liver he had ever seen, glad I had done something right! I had surgery on the 12th and am doing great, I am sure you will make the best of it, and have an uneventful surgery! Best of luck to you! Malinda Gutierrez 12 days out 26 pounds down!
DeniseV
on 7/23/04 2:47 pm - NH
Hi Leslie! Guess what? I have to do a liquid diet for TWO WEEKS! Yup. Two weeks. My liquid diet includes: three protein drinks daily, unlimited beverages such as water, decaf tea, etc, and plain vegetables with no added fat. Then three days prior to surgery, only liquids; no veggies. So, as of 7/28, I am looking at two weeks of a liquid diet! Not really looking forward to it, but I am definitely looking forward to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! Hang in there, sweetie! Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views