Bumps on the road to recovery

Monna W.
on 7/23/04 1:27 am - Susanville, CA
Don't let this scare you off, because mine was a very special case and I had extra risks going into this surgery from most people. This past Sunday I was very dizzy and light headed. I did not feel like myself. I lay down to rest and then felt the need to go to the bathroom. I got up and could not remain standing. I fell and opened about 2.5 inches of my incision line. While I lay on the floor I had what I thought was a bowel movement. When Shawna cleaned me up before the ambulance came for me, she said it was not just feces, but blood. I knew that was not a good sign. I was taken to our local ER and found to have a very prolonged bleeding time (for you RNs my INR was 8) and my hemoglobin was 7--normal is 11-13. I was in a full-blown lower GI bleed. They gave me 2 units of red blood cells and 2 units of frozen plasma. Then I was airlifted to the hospital in Chico. (What an experience and one I am not in a hurry to repeat). At the ER in Chico, I received 2 more units of red blood cells and 2 more of plasma. Plasma is used to try to correct the bleeding time. My heart was going crazy too, with PVCs and PACs and tachycardia. I was taken to ICU where I received more blood and plasma, electrolytes, vitamin K, and fluids in general. I continued to bleed from my rectum--felt I was just lying in a pool of blood. Finally, Monday night I stopped bleeding and only old blood was coming out. By yesterday morning, my INR was down to 1.4 and my hemoglobin was up to 10.6. My heart rate had returned to normal and pulse rate was down to normal. I was moved to a regular ward. Thursday morning I had more electrolytes and discharged home. I am feeling fine now. I feel different than when I came home last time. The GI bleed is one of the complications of the gastric bypass surgery and I was at great risk because of my anticoagulation therapy for my pulmonary hypertension. I received excellent care and consider it a stumble on the road to recovery. Oh, they put in 4 sutures where my incision opened and it is healing fine. I am still glad I had the surgery. Monna
Dj _.
on 7/23/04 2:02 am - Eden Prairie, MN
oh my gosh! Well, thank God you're feeling better and everything is ok in the end. You have a great attitude, and I wish you a smooth sailing the rest of your journey! Deb
IrishIze
on 7/23/04 2:12 am - NJ
Monna, I'm so sorry you had such difficulty! I hope all of your problems are over with now and you can be on your way to recovery. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.... Hugs, Nancy
LisaSpi
on 7/23/04 4:08 am - Tucson, AZ
I am so sorry to hear you had to go through this but I am very glad things turned out ok. Lisa Spiker
Dianne C.
on 7/23/04 12:29 pm - Abbotsford, WI
I had alot of health problems before surgery I had a heart attack in may 2001 and need knee replacments now but they will not do them till im 55 and im 45 now and I have back problems so I know where your coming from I bled rectally 2 or 3 weeks out almost had to have a upper and lower scope at the same time. My doc gave me previcid and after 3 days I stop bleeding Thank God I hope your doing much better and if you ever need someone to talk to my # is 1 715 942-0336 I am on internet service so I pay 35.00 and I can call anywhere it doesn't go up or down so if you want to call I will call you back if not e-mail me and we will keep in touch Best wishes and I know you will do well Dianne my post op date is 4/30/2003
Monna W.
on 7/24/04 2:06 am - Susanville, CA
Thanks to all *****sponded with such wonderful encouragement. Things are going well now. I am just very tired and weak. I know that will pass. I am still glad I had this surgery. Monna
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views