Should kids come to Hospital?

leon
on 7/22/04 7:13 am - Rhinelander, WI
This is my first major surgery. I am probably ignorant, but is it O.K. for my kids to come up and see me at the hospital? I do not want to scare them, but I want to re-assure them that I am O.K. Childrens ages are 13 and 10. Please if you have any advise..
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/04 7:17 am - Somewhere Else
I think it's a great idea for kids to visit in the hospital. I told mine not to bother, only because I came home so early, and getting downtown to that hospital and finding parking is a bear of a job, so I figured why have their father go through that when they could just see me at home the next day. My kids are 12 and 14. Good luck Linda
Tina I.
on 7/22/04 9:09 am - Minot AFB, ND
I think having the kids visit is a great idea. My son is 3 and my hubby brought him everyday after work. IT was important for him to see me and know that I was ok. The first day was a little rough because I had an NG-tube in and I was really out of it. He cried when they had to leave but after the second day, he knew he was going to come bac****il I came home on the 4th day. He came with our friends to pick me up and it was a very big deal to him. I know your kids are a bit older but I think they will still be worried about you.
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/04 9:38 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
The night of my surgery, my daughter stayed with my sister. I knew that I would be in ICU, where she couldn't go. She spent the entire next day with me in a regular room. She's only five, and other than getting bored, she was just fine AND helpful.
T R.
on 7/22/04 3:38 pm
Absolutely!! My daughter was there waiting to see me after my surgery. She is 11 and such a mama's girl. I think it helped ease her mind considering the risks of this surgery. My whole family was involved, hubby,daughter and parents. I think it also helped me heal quicker to see them, then they knew I was ok and getting better everyday. You don't look bad after surgery or anything so don't worry there. I think if you have small children they might get bored, but older ones seem to be very helpful and wanting for once to care for their mama. Take care and good luck, Tami
malindagutierrez
on 7/23/04 1:57 pm - Union Mills, NC
I had my surgery out of town and they went with me, they are 5 and 7. They went with me to the hosp. at 5:45 am then when I went into surgery they waited in the cafe until the MD came out and said I was okay, then Daddy took them to get something to eat while I was in recovery. As soon as I got up to my room they were there and such a nice sight, they went back to the hotel that night and were right back the next morning wanted to know when I was coming out of the hospital. They went walking with me also, you know they want you up walking soon after the surgery, so they were a big help, then my 5 year old daughter helped me get in the shower the morning after, and we did great! They even brought me a teddy bear from each of them. Good luck with your surgery, I wish you the best!
kelly N.
on 7/23/04 3:03 pm - summerville, GA
My kids are 12 & 8- I am having surgery on the 27th- My 8 year old asked me today 'IF it was to late for me to change my mind" I asked her why she would want me to change my mind & she aid she was afraid I might Die- My heart was broke--- I reassured her that Dr. Scott was gonna take good care of Mommy-I definitly want my children to visit- Keep me in your Prayers!!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views