Had surgery Mon. abs & back are sore???

NadineM
on 7/22/04 2:22 am - Vancouver, WA
Is this normal? My lower back hurts and I am trying not to take pain meds and just the anti-inflamatory and muscle relaxers. My abdominal muscles feel like they have been ripped apart...(Oh' they have been ripped apart) OK, but they are sore getting up and down from a laying position. Did this hapen to anyone else? And what did you do to sooth it? Thanks..Nadine
alli E.
on 7/22/04 2:42 am - CA
WOW! THIS IS LIKE DEJA VU!!! My lower back killed! I could only sleep (well a little bit 1-2 hours) on the love seat or chair with pillows TONS! oR ON THE COUCH! I also felt like my stomach was soooo hurtin! THE BEST thing is tooooooooooooooooooo WALK!!!!!!!!!!!! WALK! then I also took pain meds... it will passsssssssssssssssss! WOW! I remember that feeling! HANG IN THERE! Alice 8 days post lost 17 lbs
Dj _.
on 7/22/04 4:56 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Nadine, I can't give you advice, but I will tell you what I was told, and what I did. My doctor and nurses told me to take the pain meds...they said by staying ahead of the pain in the first few days, you're able to walk and move around more, which speeds up healing. That's what I did. On the 4th and 5th day, I only used 1 pill during the day, and 1 before bed. By the 6th day, I didn't need any at all. Did you have lap RNY? If so, the pain may be the gas they put inside you. If not, maybe just pain from what you've been through. Hang in there...it does get better. If you're still concerned, phone your doctor or nurse. Deb
Mary D.
on 7/22/04 11:22 am - Westfield, NJ
Dear Nadine, The pain you describe is one I still have at 10 days post op. It is much better....put the ripping/burning feeling with certain motion (getting up and down, sneezing or coughing) is still there, even though it seemed to have gone away when first home from hosp. I stopped the pain meds too trying to do the right thing.....WRONG. I am now back on two per day 12 hours apart with Tylenol at the 6 hour mark and feeling more mobile. I do walk 20-30 minutes each day and I have eliminated the gas....so I know it's just the resulting soreness from having instruments inside poking around. My pain is lower left abdomen across to just below the naval. My surgeon said it could also travel to the back, but I haven't experienced that. Stay ahead of the pain by taking the prescribed meds as indicated by your doctor. Everyone's experience is different, some have no pain at all. You do NOT have to be in pain when recovering from major surgery. Call your surgeon if you have any concerns about the meds. (My sister is a surgical nurse and FLIPPED when I told her I wasn't taking the meds. She told me that pain is very draining physically and emotionally and that I should allow my body to heal at it's own pace.) Mary Dailey NJ
NadineM
on 7/22/04 1:08 pm - Vancouver, WA
Thanks everyone...............for your help!! Nadine
malindagutierrez
on 7/23/04 2:04 pm - Union Mills, NC
Are you doing better now? I am 12 days out and doing great I wish you the best! Malinda Gutierrez 12 days 26 pounds gone!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views