Poll of July Post Op's

kellyh26
on 7/20/04 7:58 am - White Bluff, TN
Hey guys... I'm just wondering how many if any of us were having post op regrets... I tell you I do hope it gets better and better for me. I've been on SF Jello, SF popsicles for 2 weeks and I may have to be on that for another week or so... I personal think that's a bunch of crap... there are post ops coming home on soft or blended food and I have to starve for 3 weeks... that's crap if you ask me... but anyway I'm going to stop my pitty party now....
DramaQueenJessica
on 7/20/04 8:30 am - Wayland, MA
I had/have regrets.. I mean, in the morning I hate myself for this. Only because I havent gotten any sleep the night before. But after trying on old jeans and they FIT, well hell, no regrets. Anyways. I had an appointment with my surgeon today and he told me that the size of the opening of your pouch is about as round as a pencil because of the swelling.. eventually going to grow to about the size of a nickel or quarter. Thats the reason for liquid diets. So you dont hurt your new pouch and disrupt the staple line. My surgeon has me, since day three, on pureed foods. Its gross, Id RATHER be on liquids. Which my surgeon believes is just drinking empty calories, he'd rather the nutrients and calories to come directly from food. Some surgeons are overly cautious, nothing wrong with that. Some surgeons believe eating soft foods early will 'toughen' the pouch. I have that line of thinking, sort of. I mean, today I ate a mozzarella stick, which I swear was sent from heaven (I havent been eating anything for the last few days, pencil opening and all that) and part of a chicken wing which is NOT recommended at all. It smelled good and tasted great, but after chewing it for 30 seconds . It ended up being nasty and disgusting. Just think the first few months are going to be hard, eventually we will get used to this and evolve from people wallowing in pureed crap to living our lives so much we dont think about the food. I cant wait till that day. Jessica 253 consult 236 day of surgery 225 current 216 short term goal
kellyh26
on 7/20/04 10:19 am - White Bluff, TN
don't wish yourself a step back liquids are really starting to get old to the point were when I think about jello is makes me want to yack also... I suppose the first little while it's going to be six of one half a dozen of another... But, my belly is telling me that I'm ready to move to the next level...thanks for letting me vent
DramaQueenJessica
on 7/20/04 11:10 am - Wayland, MA
Vent away. OH is a place for support right? Oh I dunno, drinking liquids is good. Depending on what youre drinking. Chicken broth?? Swanson's makes all kinds of flavors. Last week, the day before surgery when I was on clears I had their roasted veggie flavor. OMG it was ohh soo good. I have the lemon and herb sitting in the cabinet. Have you looked at the Cup O Soup soups? The have one that is Spicy Thai Chicken, its coconutty and spicy and yummerful. Im not sure if its classified as clear since its white, but I think thats just the coconut milk. Crystal Light?? Drinking any? The lemonade is too freaking sweet but the iced tea flavor is good. I believe I read on the main page that on Susan Maria's website (bariatriceating.com) that she has a clear protien drink, one is actually fruit punch flavored. (which is also good for post-clear stage) Id get sick of eating Jello too. How about popsicles or freeze pops? Ive been drinking everything with ice and it helps get a lot of liquid in. Trust me, Im peeing constantly all day long.. lol. Oh geez, I dunno, I can think of much more but my brain is farting.. lol.
JackieF
on 7/20/04 2:07 pm - ObesityHelp Support Group Leader, NY
Hi Jessica, I had my surgery on July 8th. My doctors plan is different, so I have been eating purees. I bought the tropical punch Nectar protein powder. The powder is white and when you mix it with water, the drink is blue. It tastes pretty good. I would get a few samples first before buying the big containers. I bought 3 with the offer that Susan Maria (bariatriceating.com) was having and I think I got too much. I didn't get myself a chocolate powder to have. I have my protein shake for breakfast sometimes because I am not an egg or cheese eater. I am amazed that after this surgery, a yogurt makes me full. I really like the Dannon Light & Fit Cherry Vanilla. There are little bits of cherries in the vanilla yogurt. Jackie
DramaQueenJessica
on 7/20/04 10:59 pm - Wayland, MA
Hi Jackie, How are you feeling? My surgeon has me on pureed too, since day 3, I was still in the hospital when I started on purees, my first was pureed scrambled eggs . I swear they were the GROSSEST thing I have EVER eaten, well not even eaten, smelled in my life. I didnt even touch them. What have you eaten thats pureed that was actually tolerable? I had pureed chicken in the H and it stuck to my teeth, felt like I hadnt brushed in DAYS. Does the Nectar protein powder really taste like fruit punch? I was thinking about the lemonade one, but if its anything like the Crystal Light lemonade, Ill pass. Its too sweet. I dont think you can get too much, considering protein will be a way of life FOR life. Even tho I understand how important protein is, right now Im eating for energy. If I cant tolerate something because my pouch opening is too small, well Im not gonna starve and suffer, know what I mean? This am Im drinking an 8 oz glass of Crystal Light Iced Tea and a carb control yogurt. Not exactly protein full foods, but its something and it makes me happy. Yesterday I ate and its a NoNo for so soon, a ritz cracker with a bit of cheese spread on it. I took teeny nibbles out of the cracker and chewed it to death. It was WONDERFUL. Same with a mozzarella stick. Chewed it to smitherines. I have a list of really soft foods that Tooter (from the main board) ate during her pureed stage and it gave me lots of choices. Although most of it isnt pureed, its really soft and can be pureed by teeth. Ill give it to you if you want, just click the email me button and ask. Ill send it right away. Jessica 253/236/225/216/125
laura L.
on 7/21/04 7:18 am - Longview, TX
Jessica, I would love some new ideas for the pureed stage Please email me at [email protected]
Velvet W.
on 7/20/04 12:30 pm - RunningSprings, CA
RNY on 07/09/04 with
Im 11 days post op. and had my post -op appointment today. I've been allowed to eat pureed/blended foods since i left the hospital. In addition to specific protien shakes.and a required amount of s/f fluids. As long as it went through the blender it was ok. But my kids knocked it off the shelf last night and I had a piece of meat (VERY tender, small portion, cut up into itty bitty pieces, chewed longer than gum) and my doctor CHEWED me out today. I feel very fortunate though that yorgurt, cottage cheese, and cheese in small amouts have been allowed. though it sometimes upsets my stomach. I havent thrown up since surgery. HURRAY! I hear some people just can't hold anything. But I've been baby ing myself. Persoanally I think it would be easier to have been left on fluids for longer. But I believe the reason we were moved to soft food was to test for bowl problems fairly early. And the diversity allows for a better chance of meeting our protien goals.
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/04 3:18 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
For as much as I hated liquids while I was on them, now that I am on soft foods and protein shakes, I'd much rather just have water. Just thinking about another protein shakes makes me want to throw up...it's not that they taste bad, I just can't face another one. As for food...well, now I'm on Augmentin for an ear infection, so I have no desire to eat. I bought some protein bars that are hard as a roc****il you bite it, and then it kind of melts away. I figure that will help give me SOME protein, and if I HAVE to, I will go back to shakes. I know the importance of protein, but I also know that I don't want to puke. I have even tried flavorless, which really isn't. Oh well. In two weeks I'll be able to have lean meats, so that should help. I hope.
laura L.
on 7/21/04 7:23 am - Longview, TX
If you find a protein shake you like --clue me in. I'm trying samples from Vitalady but like you--drinking them is like medicine sometime
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views