Question for Post opers

scholarmama
on 7/19/04 2:25 am - Hemet, CA
Ok... I have a serious question... I am having surgery in 9 days (not that I am counting or anything) but my question is about thirst... Especially with the heat, I now am drinking water like there is no tomorrow, and I know with the pouch you cant do that... so how are you all dealing with thirst or is it really a problem cuz basically you are always drinking if your sipping right??? Starting to go nuerotic... Loni
melissab
on 7/19/04 4:24 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
Hi Loni Congrats on your upcoming date! I think we have the same date, July 28th? I am so excited, I can hear it in your typing too HAHA... WOOHOOO! We are now counting single digits! I personally think that the sipping of the water will be okay and keep you hydrated, just be sure to keep drinking! I also have planned that I will wake up every 2 hours at least to drink at least 6-8 ounces, rather than sleep all day (which for the first bit may be all we want to do) and not drink at all. I also highly recommend if you don't have A/C at home, that if you can afford it, go out and purchase just a small air conditioner at least for one room in the house (bedroom or living room, wherever you think you will spend more time). Otherwise I would make sure that if your house is really warm that you gather any/all fans available and keep them going full pin somewhere near you. It will help to not feel so thirsty if you aren't overheated. I personally don't plan to do any walking in the heat of the day post op for a while for this purpose, I will either walk early mornings and late evenings, or go to the air conditioned gym and use the treadmill. I also think that ice chips (as long as you suck them till they melt and not crunch them into scratchy pieces) will help. Good luck again! Can't wait till we are both posting on the LOSING side Talk to you soon oh Twin of mine Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 7/19/04 5:36 am - Somewhere Else
I try to drink at least 24 oz of water a day, but the best is to also add some Powerade, it has less sugar than Gatorade and will help prevent dehydration, it helps keep your electrolytes balanced. (or you can always use Pedialyte, they also make popsicles) Anything you drink or eat helps to add some fluids to your system, but do try to sip all day long. Good luck...I'm sure everything will go well for you. Linda
Patricia B.
on 7/19/04 6:02 am - Tannersville, PA
Hi Loni, I am 5 days post-op and to be honest, I was to tired to think about anything but sleep. You do sip all day long, so I don't think thirst will be an issue for you. Good Luck! If you have any other questions, just ask!!!!
Lalocaweta
on 7/19/04 6:53 am - Spicewood, TX
I have been really lucky and things have gone so great...You just have to keep sipping all day long...My surgeon gave me a cup that is 32 ozs and he was clear that I need to drink 2 cups each day...It is a struggle...but everything I have read shows keep hydrated is really,really important.
Gala G.
on 7/19/04 12:27 pm - Middleton, WI
Yep...it is important. If you want to feel better..you gotta stay hydrated. I know from experience. Read my post to this thread. I spent the afternoon in the hospital last week because I was so very sick. I could barely stand. Let alone drive. I have no clue how I drove myself to the dr. other than I had no choice my dh and kids were gone... It is a constant struggle w/me to get more than 30 oz in...let alone what I need to. Gala -20
Gala G.
on 7/19/04 12:25 pm - Middleton, WI
It will come sweetheart. I am barely getting in 30 oz at this point. I too had the thirst problem. And I did a ton of swishing and spitting the first few days. After that you just take small sips and you will be fine. Your BELLY WILL TELL YOU when enough is enough. As far as staying hydrated... DO IT!!!! JUST DO IT!!!! I got dehydrated. Nothing worse than being 10 days out, having had ALL your veins tapped into while in the hospital and then be severely dehydrated and try to get yet another vein to give you fluids.....cause when you dehydrate your veins collapse..... I know. I have BTDT and have the IV bruises still...it was just last Thursday. Gala -20 lbs
T R.
on 7/20/04 10:36 am
Congrats!! I am 12 days post-op and I have to tell you. It ain't easy to sip all day and no you can't gulp. Aside from sipping water you might get more fluids in if you keep some sugar free popsicles around or get one of those ice shavers. I seem to be able to take ice and popsicles better than drinking water. Plus, everything tastes different after surgery. Well, I hope this advice helps. Take care and keep us posted. Tami
KooKooKeri
on 7/22/04 5:55 pm - Reseda, CA
Hey Loni, just saw this post. I was SO worried about not being able to drink as much water. I have had NOOOOOOOO problems. In fact, i worry now that i am drinking too much too fast. I can get down as much as 20oz of water in an hour! Whereas, my surgeon said it WOULD take an hour to get down 8oz!! Anyhow, dont sweat it - - your body will take care of you Best of luck, ~kookookeri
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views