The Pyschological/Emotional side of eating...

IrishIze
on 7/18/04 8:04 am - NJ
Having had two ceseareans and a hysterectomy, I'm not too nervous about the surgery - I know what to expect with an abdominal surgery, but I am more concerned about the psychological and emotional side of not being able to eat what I want whenever I want. I do want to get out of that habit, but I wonder how I will cope with things without the food to turn to. Is anyone else worried about this? Hugs, Nancy
cosette
on 7/18/04 8:24 am - Tujunga, CA
This is the one aspect that completely concerns me. I'm 200 pounds overweight. I didn't get here just eating when I'm hungry. I've done every diet; I've even lost up to 80 pounds on Weigh****chers (twice), but I just gain it all back and then some. I decided that I need somebody to shut off the food I overeat. And it's my understanding that while, yes, there are some foods you will never be able to tolerate, I read the message boards and people's profiles (go to Caroline Martin and read what she says), and I talk to some people who are one year out, and they all are eating things, but just a couple of bites. I think the whole idea is to finally replace the eating with other activities... My surgery is 7-21-04. I wish you the best and hope you'll keep in touch.
IrishIze
on 7/18/04 8:44 am - NJ
Cosette, I think you're right about finding other things to do as an outlet. I'm going to try and join a gym - nothing like a 'hardbodies' kind of thing, but maybe American Woman where they have a pool and beginner aerobics. I am also going to learn to play the mandolin, and I am buying some markers and a sketch pad and will doodle (ever watch the Osbournes and Ozzy doodling?...I think I'd like to do something like that). I think it will take time and training to get away from food being my 'feel good' outlet. I quit smoking 3 years ago after 30+ years and as difficult as that was, I was able to do it. I am always glad when I hear people post-op who say they eat just about everything.... Let's all keep in touch and compare notes. We will all be going through the same things, and I really think we can help each other. Hugs and Nancy
Dianna H.
on 7/18/04 8:26 am - Grove Hill, AL
OH YES! I have thought about that. I have been so excited that I am going to have this surgery, but I wonder if the surgery is the easy part. I also have had 2 c-sections and a hysterectomy. I'm not corncerned with the pain aspect, that will pass. I do feel there will be cravings and knowing that I physcially cannot go back to my old eating habits helps.
MarinaS
on 7/18/04 10:31 am - Small Town, WA
I have my great aunt's mandolin and I too would like to learn to play it. I am not just having the surgery, but our older son is moving away later this week so there are a lot of emotions in our household. I am not so concerned about not eating, because being a diabetic there were already some things I cannot eat, but I am concerned about all the hormones our bodies release and the emotions that go with that. I, too, have over 200 to loose, but I will be happy just to have my diabetes under control even if I do not loose it all.
Debra O.
on 7/18/04 11:33 am - Chino, CA
If your wondering how your gonna deal with it. I'm 5 days post op and have no appetite at all. Its very hard just getting enough fluids down just to stay hydrated. Every swallow of water hurts going down. The first three days all I did was throw up just trying to sip water. You know how fun throwing up is when there is nothing in your stomach??? So thats the hardest thing I've found to deal with. Im really afraid im going to get dehydrated and end up in the hospital again. ~Debra
IrishIze
on 7/18/04 11:56 am - NJ
Debra - I'm sorry you're going through tough times. Have you spoken to your surgeon since your surgery? I know some people have a tougher time than others, but it sounds like maybe the surgeon should know that you can't keep water down. I'll keep you in my prayers...... Hugs, Nancy
Mary D.
on 7/18/04 2:08 pm - Westfield, NJ
Dear Debra, Holy cow! I coughed and was dropped to my knees by the pain...I can only imagine what you are going through if you vomit every time you sip. You WILL get dehydrated if you are unable to tolerate liquids. My surgeon told me to CALL if this happens and they would prescribe and anti-nausea med....just like the one they administered the whole time I was in the hospital. I am 6 days post op and have been able to drink 64 oz of fluid each day. I have also had creamed soup made with skim milk, jello pudding made with skim milk, protein shakes....and I am already down 15 lbs in less than a week. Starting the protein took away the weak and shakie feeling. I would not expect vomiting to be acceptable. CALL YOUR SURGEON FOR MEDS! INSIST that they give you something. Swallowing should not hurt, even if you are gulping air, you should just have gas. Are you drinking too fast? My surgeon told me to buy a baby spoon. The amount the spoon holds is as much liquid or soup/pudding, protein shake I should take in at a time. IT'S TINY! Maybe the spoon idea will help you.....takes a LONG time to get in the water on that spoon! Let me know how you are doing. Mary NJ
siennagodiva
on 7/18/04 11:56 am - BALTIMORE, MD
Tomorrow I have to make an appt to see my shrink. I am five days post op and there are moments when I have a lot of hunger. I can't help but notice the amount of food commercials on tv. Since I have been doing most of my recoup infront of the tv. I have been waiting for the pain to subside to become more active, but it looks like I will have to find other ways to occupy my time. I never really considered myself an emotional eater, but I guess i might have to look into this a little more!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views