Today? Bad day...bad day!

MinnieMia
on 7/17/04 3:27 am - SC
Not really but I'm having the hibernation syndrome thing and I'm miserable. I was released yesterday, did really well and then I hit a wall last night. Couldn't sleep, couldn't get comfortable so I took a pain pill (wish they were liquid, the pills scare me, even cut up.) And I'm bored stiff with the clear liquid phase...broth, jello, juice...I want to chew something. I thought I was so prepared but I guess not. I've slept most of the day and I just don't care if I eat or not. I'm so weak. When I try to walk my legs just feel like they're shaking under me. Yesterday was great...today not so much. Hope it gets better every day...I cannot imagine clear liquids for another week and a half...ugh... Is it just me or is anyone else who had surgery this week struggling with this? Here's hoping tomorrow's better!
Gala G.
on 7/17/04 4:13 am - Middleton, WI
Minnie, I am right there with you. I have barely came out of my room today. I sit in there and cry because I feel so guilty for not being w/my kids (2 and 5). I come out to my computer whichi s right across from my room and that has been about it. I knew this would be hard. I was very well prepared. I knew what I was getting into. I have done the research. But I wasn't prepared for my depression to bottom out. I am 11 days post op. I have had some minor complications - bladder infection led to severe dehydration. I feel my self gettind dehydrated again. I feel good "otherwise" for the most part. but I can't get myself moving. I couldn't imagine the liquid stuff either..but I am 2 days away from being able to have more stuff. I see my dh who is almost 5 weeks out and I can't wait to be at that point. I am very weak. I am trying to get in my liquids. The coordinator yesterday told me not to worry much w/the protien right now but to get in as much liquid as possible. I struggle with depression to begin with. However, this is probably one of the worse spurts I have had in a VERY long time. Least the other times I was able to "get out" and not feel so freeking lonely. Hope your day gets better. Gala
alli E.
on 7/17/04 5:01 am - CA
hmmmmmmmm-- your doc did not give u liquid pain meds??? wow! I feel opposite of you! I am forcing myself to get up every hour and drink all the time----------- Jello (SF strawberry is the best) I have been eating that! I am 4 days post op and weighed myself i lost 10 lbs WAHOOOO! Hang in there! U HAVE TO DRINK! DDRINK PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Mary D.
on 7/17/04 8:13 am - Westfield, NJ
Dear Minnie, It is totally normal to have bad days. You have just had MAJOR surgery and it is exhausting and stressful. Sitting around IS boring, but necessary. In the past you have reached for food when stressed, exhausted and bored....now you have to find another way to endure. I have been feeling the exact same way at 4 days post op. I found that the shaking legs were relieved by making sure I took in at LEAST 64 ounces of water...start sipping as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning. I also had insomnia the first few nights. I walked slowly around the house, watched TV until the wee hours, read a few pages of my book, and prayed. Finding something other than food is a JOB. I also had a tickle in my throat that triggered a coughing fit that sent me to my knees in pain. NOT FUN. Pressing a pillow into my abdomen didn't work. Thank GOD that has passed. My nutrition plan is different than yours. First two days home I was on clear liquids and jello. Then I was to switch to full liquids whi*****ludes campbell's lofat cream of chicken soup made with Skim Plus milk and with the chicken pieces strained out, dannon carb control yogurt, sugar free pudding made with Skim Plus milk, and the protein shakes. I purchased EXTREME SMOOTHIE readymade shakes in flip top cans from bariatriceating.com and they are DELICIOUS!! I couldn't believe I was drinking a diet protein shake...only 170 calories and 35 grams of protein. My 21 year old athletic, lacrosse playing, running 5 miles per day, weight lifting son drank one and asked me to order them for him too! After my 10 day post op I will begin soft foods like cream of wheat, egg beaters scrambled eggs, tuna with light mayo, etc. 1 month post begins full food, but with the 70 gr protein, 20 gram carb, 10 gr fat and NO SUGAR restriction for life. You CAN do the clear liquids for another week and 1/2. Be sure to eat the JELLO as it has protein and will make you less weak. Drink ALL of the water and you will do less shaking....and go to the scale each time you want to chew....you will notice a very steady weight loss. At 4 days post I am down 12 lbs. I was also afraid to swallow the pills and asked the nurse about that. She said the pouch is very elastic at the opening to the intestine and EASILY accommodates the pills. ALSO...BE SURE TO TAKE A MULTIVITAMIN to help with the fatigue and healing. You're going to be FABULOUS! Let yourself grieve for the lost foods, and move on to other things to keep you happy. There any things in the world to make us happy besides devil dogs and doritos! Be gentle with yourself....you deserve it. Mary Dailey, New Jersey
k29acosta
on 7/17/04 11:40 am - roseburg, OR
hang in there sis it gets better I still have not wondered from the house I am walking on my tredmill (slowly) for like 5 minutes and then around the house but still have not attempted to put on a bra..... you are not alone we love you hang in there
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views