Epideral or PCA pump ?????

Sandy D.
on 7/16/04 5:02 am - Mascoutah, IL
I'm scheduled for surgery on the 20th and have to decide whether I want an epideral or PCA pump. I thought I wanted the PCA pump but the anthesiologist made some good points about the epideral so now I'm confused. Any experiences with either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/04 5:56 am - Somewhere Else
I didn't have either for this surgery. Actually, I only had a tylenol suppository for pain, lol.....I was lucky, I didn't have any pain, I recover well and quickly from surgeries. I did have epideral for my first C-section and never again! I've had horrible back problems since. Good luck with your upcoming surgery
Monna W.
on 7/16/04 7:18 am - Susanville, CA
I had an epidural and had absolutely no pain. I had heard to expect pain after they removed the catheter, but I had none. I had some discomfort, but I had no pain. What a wonderful developement--I mean the epidural. Wonder where they was when I was giving birth to my children. Both pumps use morphine, I think as a first choice unless you are allergic to morphine, but you don't indicate that. With the epidural, you don't have to worry about waking up in pain or waiting for the time to be so you can push your button. And I have to tell you, I do not deal with pain, so I wasn't brave or any of that. Monna
Deejay
on 7/16/04 7:36 am - Sparks, NV
I haven't had my surgery yet, but I've had an epi with my c-sec and also when I had a cervical cerclage and both times was very scary for me because one of the times they stuck the needle in my back and I felt a shock and pain all the way down to my toes in my right leg. I didn't like the way my lower body felt coming out of the epi either. Luckily I haven't had any back problems from them, but I personally would opt for the pump because its just one less complication possibility. My surgeon uses the pump, so thats what I'll have too. Good luck and best wishes, Deejay
melissab
on 7/16/04 12:49 pm - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
It is a very individual decision. I hate to post my experience (during child birth) with an epideral, but I will tell you that even though I had a very experienced anesthesiologist, he had a heck of a time getting the line started. It took about 8 pokes with a needle into my back to get it in. It took weeks and weeks for the bruising to go down (which left me very uncomfortable to say the least) and to this day I have pain in my back (my daughter is now 5). I dont even think the problem was the 8 pokes. It was just the epidural in general. And the ironic part is that they gave it at what turned out to be the end of my labor. They guessed after a long labor already that I was going to be a much longer time (they were thinking another 24 hours, I was only 3cm dilated at 18 hours of labor), so they gave me the epidural to give me relief. Within 10 minutes I was getting yelled at for pushing, they thought the pain was making me go mental and push when I didn't need to. I kept pushing, told them I've done this before, I know push when I FEEL push HAHA! Right about the time the 3rd nurse ran in to yell at me for pushing too soon I literally screamed "SOMEONE BETTER CATCH! THE BABY ISN'T WAITING ON YOU ALL TO FREAKING LISTEN TO ME". The nurse rushed over to pacify me and ended up playing catcher. The look on their faces was priceless HAHA. Wow, I just went on and on didn't I? This was about the epidural, not my labor HAHAHAHA. Sorry! Just a hilarious story because after all that work for the epidural, it didn't even have time to take affect and my daughter was born. Out it came and didn't do a thing for me! Anyhow, I would go with your gut. My experience wasn't positive so I wouldn't ever have one again unless absolutely essential (read: I would rather walk on broken glass, feet would heal quicker than my back after an epirdural) but I also know of many many many people who have had no problems with it and swear by it. Good luck in your decision!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views