OK Post-Ops, the dreaded ?

IrishIze
on 7/16/04 12:41 am - NJ
We've all heard about the G tube that you have to keep in for 24 hours. How many of you had it in for 24 hours, and was it as bad as you thought it was going to be?? Hugs, Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/04 1:34 am - Somewhere Else
Hiyas Nancy, Guess I'm not much help here, I never had it. No tubes, no catheter, nothing. Linda
Dj _.
on 7/16/04 1:36 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Nancy..same with me...no tubes, or cathedars...nothing!
Natalie O
on 7/16/04 9:58 am - Osseo, MN
Are drain tubes something for people with the open version? I had the lap yesterday and no drain tube. I was told I had a catheter during the surgery but it was out by the time I woke up. I also could not pee right away and I was told I would need a catheter again if an ultrasound showed my bladder was full by 1:30 in the morning. Luckily I could pee well a little after midnight so did not need it. Natalie
Cindi
on 7/16/04 2:40 am - Nashville, GA
Hi Nancy!! I have a drain tube... It gets aggravating because I have to empty it & record the amount of drainage. Sometimes it feels like it is pulling but it's really not too bad. I have to wear mine for atleast one week post-op. When you weigh all the benefits of surgery...the drain tube is not bad at all. You will do just great...the most important thing I've found to be helpful is prior knowledge of the surgery, complications and other peoples experiences. This site was a true lifesaver for me. I was totally prepared. I can't wait to see you on the losing side!! God bless you Nancy! Cindi
Monna W.
on 7/16/04 2:48 am - Susanville, CA
I had surgery early in the morning, woke up in recovery in afternoon with NG tube. Doctor removed it the next morning on rounds. It was not bad and was glad I had it because I had some nausea in recovery and the tube took care of it. NG tubes like Foley catheters are not actually pleasant, but they are not there long and help speed recovery. Just try to go with the flow. You will do well. Monna
Great_Sphinx
on 7/16/04 9:59 am - Medina, OH
G-tube? Is that the drain tube? If so, yes. I had one... and a cathedar. The cath was not bad at all. Just relax and all will be well... you will probably be on pain meds when they take it out anyway... piece of cake. Now the drain tube is another matter. It was more annoying than anything. The nurses drained it for me, but they showed me how to "milk" the tube to discourage any blockage from forming. I had it taken out on my third day. It didn't exactky hurt coming out, but it was the strangest feeling. Actually, I don't know if I should say it "hurt" or just felt bizzar. I have never felt anything like it before. woah. LOL. I guess (just like the cath) you should just relax.
Lisa H.
on 7/16/04 10:15 am - Lake City, FL
I am 2 weeks post op and I will have a feeding tube for 5-6 weeks. It's at the top part of my stomach to the left of my incision. It has not bothered me at all as of yet. My surgeon wants me to put 3 oz. of boost or ensure in the tube every 3 hours. This gives me the protein that I cannot get by mouth yet. I have a lot of energy too. Alot of his patients have very little muscle or hair loss due to this early protein. Hope this helps. Lisa H.
Chocolate D.
on 7/16/04 11:14 am - Houston, TX
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I never had any of that except for the catherine (hope I spell that right)
Chocolate D.
on 7/16/04 11:24 am - Houston, TX
O' I forgot I did have a tube in my nose when I woke up and kept it there for two day. It was alright but got bothersome on the second day I was glad they took it out. It left my throat sore for about a week after surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views