Bowel prep? Huh?

melissab
on 7/14/04 6:08 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
I have seen so many references to people doing bowel prep pre-surgery. I have not been advised of needing to do that at all???? It has never once come up? Anyone else NOT have to do it?? I'm sooo confused! I would think I would have been told since I'm 2 weeks away and won't be in contact with the surgeon until my surgery date??
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/04 7:16 am - Somewhere Else
I never had to do it. Didn't have to do ALOT of things that people on here have been talking about, and have so far had an amazing recovery etc.... 11 lbs gone in my first week Linda
Jessica Senez (Lash)
on 7/14/04 7:25 am - MD
yeah i didnt have to do it either but i knew alice W did...i suppose it depends on the surgeon... i didnt have to do teh liquid diet either...
grannyannie
on 7/14/04 8:48 am - Celina, OH
Hi Melissa.... Maybe I can help. I just had my consultation with the doctor today and I asked him about bowel prep. He said nothing to eat or drink from after supper the night before was all that is needed. He said that with that there is nothing left in the bowel where they are working. No need for enemas or anything else. I am from Ohio and having my surgery in Dayton with Dr Fallang on July 27th. Best of luck to you... God bless... Annie....
joycewinfrey
on 7/14/04 8:50 am - Western, WA
I don't have to do the bowel prep either - and my doctor is very strict, too. I do have to go on the liquid diet, though. I started today. Mentally, I am so hungry! It'll be worth it, though. You are right - if you had to have a bowel prep they would have told you. So, don't worry! Everything will be fine! Joyce
melissab
on 7/14/04 8:51 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for the clarification everyone. I thought maybe I'd not been told, I guess it is just my surgeon's preference. I do have to do a claer liquid diet the entire day before surgery and no liquids after a certain time. Nothing at all day of surgery, not even gum. I can handle that, I just hate doing bowel preps of any sort. *phew/whew!*
Lalocaweta
on 7/14/04 11:45 am - Spicewood, TX
I have surgery tomorrow (15th) I was told just to nothing by mouth after 1000pm tonight...I would say that if you have any concern - call the surgeon's nurse and ask her. They are getting paid lots of money - be it by you or by insurance - and you should feel free to ask any and all questions. Good luck. Anne
Cheri M.
on 7/14/04 12:12 pm - NJ
You are so lucky you dont have to do the prep.. what a rotten day it has been. Between this and the stuck to clear liquids today it has been terrible. First.. I had such a hard time finding the specific kit they requested and finally managed to find it by lunch today.. had i known it was a hard thing to find I would have started looking for it earlier than yesterday. So i started with the pills.. they were easy. Then an hour later I had to drink the solution YUCK!!! I barely got half of it down and could not stomache anything else. It sure did work too.. I have not been able to go anywhere.. need to be near the bathroom since. Now I have to go complete the kit and do the enema. What a night.. thank god not much longer. They did postpone my surgery from 730am till noon.. which stinks but at least its still tomorrow. Good luck to you all,, see you on the losing side! Cheri
PATTI B.
on 7/14/04 2:10 pm - GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO
I was not required to have one either. But I got nervous. I had a last bowl of pasta bows with melted cheese and I thought my stomach was going to be too full too operate. I took an over the counter laxative the night before. The next day I told my mom and the nurses. The nurses just laughed at me and said there was probably nothing to wash away. I was worried as I did not have a bm or anything but yeah go figure!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views