preop buying "food/vitamins/protein" for post OP????????

IrishIze
on 7/13/04 11:49 pm - NJ
Here's the list of supplements I got from my doctor / nutritionist: First three weeks after surgery: Chewable multi-vitamin: Flintstone Complete or Centrum Jr. with iron (chew one in the morning and one in the PM with food) I got the CVS brand of childrens chewable complete with iron. Chewable Calcium: Tums 600 or Viactiv (I got Tums 800) (chew one in the AM and one in the PM) Protein: Add protein supplement (1 scoop Designer Protein, GNC Challenge 95, Whey Supreme, or other high protein, low sugar [less than 6 grams sugar per serving] powder) to 4-8 oz. skim plus milk or fat free Lactaid daily. Three weeks after surgery: Adult Multi-Vitamin: Centrum with Iron, Geritol Complete, Chewables (1-2 daily taken with food - avoid time released capsules) Calcium: Citrical, Twinlabs Chewable Calcium Caltrate, Posture D (Calcium should be in the citrate form. Carbonate is not absorbed as well) Iron: Chromagen Forte, Niferex Forte (iron will be prescribed by surgeon) (2 capsules / day, best if taken on empty stomach. Do not take with milk, calcium, coffee, tea or antacids) Protein: Supplements as above. (if unable to consume 50-70 gms of protein per day from diet, then supplement may be indicated.) Vitamin B12 (determined on individual basis - may be necessary 6 months post op) Sublingual Vitamin B12 500mcg. once a week dissolved under tongue. ************************** Here's the diet progression: Day 1 Post Op: nothing by mouth 2-4 Days Post Op: Progress from Stage 1 (Clear liquids, no concentrated sweets) to Stage 2 (No concentrated sweets, low fat puree/soft diet) Try to consume 4 oz flud every hour you are awake. 4 Days to 4 Weeks Post Op: Puree / Soft, high protein foods. Try and consume 4-6 oz. fluids every hour. You should be consuming approximately 550-700 calories and at least 50gms of protein. 4-6 weeks Post Op: all foods previously tolerated: tofu, fish and seafood, thinly sliced deli turkey or ham, slices oflow fat cheese, unsweetened canned or cooked fruit, potatoes, squash, unsweetened cereal with skim milk (Cheerios, Rice Krispies), boiled chicken in broth (cut up into small pieces), crisp toast and crackers, beans and peas, well cooked pasta, and lean, moist ground turkey and beef. 2 months Post Op: Diced Poultry (no skin), veggie burgers, soft cooked veggies, soft fruits (watermelon, honeydew, peaches, plums) 3 months Post Op: Rice, soft bread, lean and moist meant and poultry. 4 months Post Op: Veal, crunchy fruits and veggies including salads 6 months Post Op: Beef and Port (choose poultry and fish more often in view of lower fat content) THE DIET SHOULD ALWAYS BE HIGH IN PROTEIN AND LOW IN REFINED CARBOHYDRATES. PROTEIN FIRST THEN FRUITS AND VEGGIES, THEN PREFERABLY WHOLE GRAINS. Hugs, Nancy
lynn_grover
on 7/14/04 5:56 am - Spartanburg, SC
thanks for asking that question as my husband has been driving me crazy asking me and I don't know what to tell him. My surgery is July 21st and we are also moving into a new house on Aug. 1st. This is why he keeps bugging me because he will be doing all of the moving and shopping and would like to get one of the 2 out of the way if possible. Thanks to all who answered also as there is a ton of good info. Good luck to everyone with their surgery.
sammyglo
on 7/15/04 2:59 pm - Hobart, IN
Hello!!!! sorry it took me so long to reply. i was putting the recipies on my profile. just go to my profile and i made a list of recipies. i hope they help. some sound really gross, but they are high protien recipies that i got from the nutritionist. i really would suggest the optisouce vitamines. you only have to take four a day (spread out throughout the day). I find this more convenient because i don't have 20 bottles of vitamines sitting on my counter and remember which ones i have to take and crushing and splitting them. These are chewable. i only bought one box so far, just incase i cant stand the flavor after surgery. they say your taste buds change alot after surgery. good luck. only 3 more days for me. yours is soon too. we're almost losers.
Sarah C.
on 7/15/04 10:04 pm - Cornettsville, KY
Good luck with your WLS Gloria!!! Thanks for sharing the receipes!!!! I am sure they will come in handy.....God Bless and take care!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views