preop buying "food/vitamins/protein" for post OP????????

Sarah C.
on 7/13/04 12:30 pm - Cornettsville, KY
Could someone please make a list of things ( food, vitamins, protein powder, etc....)I should buy and have on hand prior to WLS... I want to be prepared and get a head start on things cause I just got 8 more days til my "ReBirth"!!!!!
Ken W.
on 7/13/04 12:49 pm - Conyers, GA
Sarah, i am glad you asked this question. I am scheduled for sugery on the 19th and I have no idea what to buy. I feel like an idiot but i don't remember the nutritionist saying anything about supplements and vitamins. Only basic foods high in protein and no sugars????????? I need help too!
Debra O.
on 7/13/04 1:33 pm - Chino, CA
Crystal Light Chicken or Beef Broth Sugar Free Popsicles Sugar Free Jello Applesauce Fat free/ sugar free pudding Chewable Vitamin C 500 mg twice a day Chewable Calcium 600mg twice a day Childrens Chewable Vitamins 2 a day Vitamin B 12 that dissolves under the tongue 1000 mg daily fro 3 weeks post op, after that once a week. 90 grams of protien a day via a protien drink, or bar Hope this helps. ~Debra RNY 7-14-04
Sarah C.
on 7/13/04 2:23 pm - Cornettsville, KY
Well Ken ...Debra made us a mighty fine list!!!! Thanks Debra! Your a DOLL!!!!!!! This list will help me so much and I am sure that Ken feels the same!!!!
sammyglo
on 7/13/04 2:58 pm - Hobart, IN
here is my list, i hope it helps: for clear liquid diet: crystal lite sugar-free popsicles sugar-free jello decaf tea (ginger and pepermint are best for pouch) bullion broth/cubes sugar-free sorbet full liquid: skim milk sugar-free pudding sugar-free yogurt--no fruit pieces 100% juice with no sugar added: diluted 50% with water strained soups(avoid tomato because of high sugar) or put in blender sugar-free carnation instant breakfast protein powder (powdered fat free milk is wonderful for adding to foods since it doesn't change the flavor of thing) other protein powders: carb solutions, atkins, carnation instant breakfast sugar-free, chioce dm. i was told that if you take a vitamine called "optisource" you don't need to take any other vitamins. it has everything you need in it. you have to take for chewable vitamines per day. the only place i know of that sells it is walgreens on line. go to www.resource.walgreens.com the nurse and doctor said these are great. i'm taking them so i don't have to take load of vitamins separetly. i also have lots of fun recipies during the full liquid and puree diet. email me if you want some. my surgery is july 19. take care, i hope this helps. this is just what i learned from my 4 weeks of classes required prior to surgery.
NadineM
on 7/14/04 8:37 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi Gloria, I would love your liquid & puree list too...thanks guys I was going to post this too....lol Nadine
Heather M.
on 7/13/04 3:35 pm - Kirtland AFB, NM
I'm not buying too much. I've scouted out the area for different products that I may want but I'm gonna wait until after the surgery. Who knows they may send me home with something. If I can get them to give me prescriptions for things even better because then I would have those expenses. I've tried a couple of protein mixes since I doubt I can get the military to pay for my protein for the rest of my life, lol. Haven't found anything that I'm just gaga over. The main things my nutritionist told me to focus on was: a) Protein!!!! at least 60g per/day in supplement form and work up to a goal of eating 75-100g. b) 1 adult or 2 children's "complete" chewable multivitamins. c) Calcium - 1500mg per/day. Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D is best absorbed. I found liquid Calcium citrate w/ vit D at Wild Oats Natural Marketplace. 2 tbs = 1200mg. d) at least 48 oz of water per/day. She said not to expect to be able to do this right after the surgery but to try and as long as I was trying each day I would soon get to it and I shouldn't have any problems. I figured after the surgery my dh could run out and get me anything I needed and hopefully I'll be feeling well enough to go with him. Heather
LadyBug :.
on 7/13/04 4:19 pm - Nashwauk, MN
Hi All, You got some great replies. One thing no one said was only get a small supply of these foods. What you can eat before surgery doesn't mean you will or can after surgery. You may feel you like Cherry sugar free Jello and after the WLS one bite and you dump Same with the Protein drinks. Some can't handle Milk after surgery. And you may love Beef Broth, but find you get sick on it. We are all different. So when you are buying get small amounts at first. It may save you some money. Jean
joycewinfrey
on 7/13/04 4:37 pm - Western, WA
well, it's getting closer! I'm excited for you (and for me, as my surgery is on the 20th). I am copying my list of needs straight from the packet that my doctor gave to me. Stock up on these "foods". These are the allowable clear liquids after surgery: *64 oz of pure water per day *sugar free popsicles *sugar free jello *sugar free juices (crystal light, sugar free tang, diet ice botanicals, diet v-8 splash) *v-8, tomato, snappy tomato, or clamato juices *broth, bouillon or strained clear soups *fruit juices which offer less than 12g of sugar per 8 oz serving, diluted with water (make this with 4 oz juice + 4oz of water, which totals 6g of sugar per serving, never more) *NO MILK AND NO SUGAR - EVER! *"no sugar added" is not the same as sugar free; it only contains less sugar than the original. My doctor gives this advice: *as you drink your water and other liquids, be sure to sip slowly. Gulping may cause discomfort or nausea. *warm or room temperature liquids often feel better than very hot or cold liquids *carbonated beverages may cause you discomfort during the first few weeks after surgery Here is the list of protein and vitamins: *childrens chewable - 9 per day (3 pills 3X per day=9pills) *centrum pill (if you choose not to do the chewables) - 6 per day (two pills 3X per day = 6 pills) *calcium citrate (with D and Mag.) - 3000mg daily *Stress B comples - 1 tablet per day *B12 - one 500mcg pill per week (sublingual) *polysaccharide Iron 150mg - 3 pills per day (1 pill 3X per day) *Vitamin A/D (water soluble) - 6 pills per day (2 pills 3X per day) *Protein - 150 grams per day (120 grams minimum) My doctor seems to be stricter than most that I've read about. He does blood work to make sure his patients are taking all of the required vitamins and protein supplements! I haven't figured out which protein powder to get yet. I am still looking. I bought a brand from my local grocery store and it is disgusting! It is a vanilla flavor. It tastes better when I add nutri-sweet. Someone told me that they add crystal light to their plain flavored protein powder. They said that it helps it to taste good. I'll have to try it! Well, I hope this helps! If you have any specific questions, e-mail me because my doctor sent a packet home with me, and it has lots more helpful information in it! Best wishes to you! Joyce
Sarah C.
on 7/13/04 10:03 pm - Cornettsville, KY
Thank you all for your responses....I appreciate it! The lists have been very helpful you all are angels!!!!! Good luck with everyones WLS! Gloria, I would love tohave some of those recipes!!!! Thanks for the !!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views