What kind of protein powder / supp??

IrishIze
on 7/13/04 4:51 am - NJ
I'm having my surgery on July 19th, and I think I have everything I should need, except protein powder. Is this something I should have in? I have a GNC in my town - is there something I can get there? I feel like I have researched this surgery like crazy, but this protein powder / protein drink stuff is something I just can't seem to get a handle on!! HELP!! Hugs, Nancy
Debra O.
on 7/13/04 5:31 am - Chino, CA
I've been drinking protien for a month now, mostly just for breakfast. My Dr. had it in his protocol that we should be beefing up on protien before surgery. I go to the Max Muscle store and get their banana flavored, and also the mango flavored is good, and I mix them just with water. If you shake it up, then put it in the freezer for 1/2 hour it tastes really good. I've tried many and believe me this is the only one so far that has tasted good to me. the others were really bad. ~Debra
Leslie A.
on 7/13/04 6:03 am - Windsor Locks, CT
My doctor's office just started to carry a protein powder called Gourmet Protein Power by Perma Lean. I tried it and it is the best I have ever had. I am 2 weeks pre-op but one of my post-op friends drinks it and says she actually looks forward to it everyday. I know it comes in Chocolate, Mocha and Vanilla. You can also get it off the internet - just do a search for it. Leslie
traceybubbles
on 7/13/04 7:28 am - Syosset, NY
MY nutritionist swears by buying a nonfat powdered milk and mixing it with sugar free nestle carnation bkfst. its alot less expensive and is available in your grocery staore. All the Best! Tracey
IrishIze
on 7/13/04 9:50 am - NJ
How much protein is in that? I'd much rather do that if I can tolerate the taste. Some of those protein powders are SO expensive!! I guess I'll have to do some research! Thanks all.... Hugs, Nancy
sammyglo
on 7/13/04 3:13 pm - Hobart, IN
i too was told about sugar-free/fat free powdered milk. it has 8g for 1/3cup. a benefit to that is that it has no flavor. i was told to add it to nearly everything. the carnation instant breakfast is also wonderful. it has only 4g per packet but if you add the powdered milk to it, you get more protein. just a tip. take care, my prayers are with you. i'm on the 19th also.
IrishIze
on 7/13/04 10:35 pm - NJ
Well, I went online and ordered a can of Isopure vanilla and one of pineapple orange banana. I found a place that sells the 3 lb. cans for $23.99, so at least that should get me started. It is sugar free, and has 200 calories per serving with 50 grams of protein. I'll be really happy if I can get that much in in the beginning!! Thanks everyone for your help! Hugs, Nancy
traceybubbles
on 7/13/04 11:45 pm - Syosset, NY
I believe that non fat milk is 16grams protien per cup. i have to get it today along with the sugar free carnation bkfst drink. the milk is unflavored and can be mixed with any foods... yougert, shakes, smoothies, sprinkeled on cereal..etc. I sure hope you like the other stuff you bought..that seems alittle pricey .why don't you try this also? All the best! Tracey
IrishIze
on 7/14/04 12:21 am - NJ
What I liked about the Isopure is that there are 21 servings per can, and each serving is 50 gms of protein, 200 calories and 0 carbs. The milk and instant breakfast is only 12 gms protein and at least 12 carbs, and the milk and non-fat dry milk is the same. I think, at least in the beginning, I'd like to be getting in as much protein as possible. With the Isopure, I can get 50 grams of protein in one cup as opposed to 4 cups of the milk and CIB. I think we're all going to learn what we like best and how our bodies react to different sources of protein. Hugs, Nancy
Belle
on 7/14/04 1:42 am - Paragould, AR
Hi Nancy, Ten days prior to surgery my doctor had put me on a really good protein drink called NutriMed 500. It not only comes in vanilla, chocolate, etc...but it also comes in soup packets such as creme of chicken and tomato. I think I also had oatmeal with rasins. With the shakes you can either add 4 oz of water and make a pudding with it or add 8 oz of water and make it like a shake. I like variety and that is the way to go if you don't always want to have you're protein sweet, and there is no sugar added in these. I don't know where the doctor had these ordered. However, I did a google search so that I could order some for my post op diet and found several sites that carry this drink. Hope this helps. Cheers, Belinda
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views