July Baby Post-Ops - ???

IrishIze
on 7/13/04 4:05 am - NJ
This goes out to all of you July Baby Post-Ops. First of all, congratulations on having your surgery and being on the losing side!!! Secondly, what kind of tips can you give us pre-ops on the first week or two after surgery? What is your average day like? Are you getting any protein in and what kind? What are you eating and how much water are you able to drink? Are you able to walk around and function pretty well? Hope you don't mind me asking these questions. I just thought it might help with that 'fear of the unknown' feeling!! Thanks so much, and bless you all!! I hope everything continues to go well for all of you!! Hugs, Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/04 4:33 am - Somewhere Else
Hiyas Nancy... Well my days don't seem all that much different than before surgery. I was home less than 2 days after surgery and get around well enough. The second day home, I went out to help pick up groceries...even went out to lunch...restaurant was nice enough to puree my soup for me I've even done some housework! I don't really feel any different, other than my staples pulling now and then. I've been eating mush since before I came home...even cottage cheese! I drink as much water as I want...can't tell if I'm really hungry or not yet...I just make sure to eat 6 times a day...yet since I eat slowly, it seems like I'm almost always eating I drink 1 protein drink a day, and have some baby food meats at at least 1 meal a day...plus soy milk and cheese...so there's my protein sources... oh BTW...I've already lost 10.5 lbs I can't wait to see my doctor next week!!!!! Wish everyone could have it go this smoothly...it really feels like I never had anything done at all Take care everyone, and keep the faith! Linda
JackieF
on 7/13/04 6:23 am - ObesityHelp Support Group Leader, NY
Hi Nancy, Thank you for the encouragement. I came home from the hospital yesterday and I am feeling good. Just have to have help taking care of my son, but that is what husbands, grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts and uncles are for. I also seem to be doing well (knock wood) on the food aspect also. Jackie
Karen P.
on 7/13/04 7:38 am - Coral Springs, fl
Thanks, What tips do I have? Keep in mind I had a lap rny with a hernia (so I think it was more painful than the normal) on 7/6 Don't be so happy when they take the catheder out. That means you'll have to wait for someone to help you up to go to the bathroom a few times a night. In fact, I'm still pissed my husband didn't stay that night. I wished I had hired a private nurse just for that second night when I was catheder-free. How am I getting protein in? My doctor doesn't allow me to eat anything other than clear liquids and protein after wls, so that is all I am eating. It is gross. But, carb option barbeque sauce is starting to help. You might want to try to get a bottle of that. Also, I think they make a ketchup now too. I'm getting around pretty well. I still take a few naps during the day and am glad I have help. The worst is eatting right now. Karen
lily K.
on 7/13/04 8:04 am - brockton, MA
dear nancy i had my lapRNY on 7/6 and was home on 7/8 i have been lucky nothing so far has made me nauseous(make sure you get up and walk in the hospital as soon as possible,many posts suggest this and i think this helped me a lot) i have been having different protein drinks i tried a few before i went in but after a week they are getting boring. i love the sugar free popsicles they go down easy . sometimes it is hard to tell if you are hungry, you just had you abdomen operated on plus gas etc but i try to eat 3 times a day, if i can't get whole shake in one meal i drink what i can and save the rest for later, my dr wants 60 grams protein a day and i am falling shy of that but i am getting all my liquids in, i have also tried to walk about 20-30 min a day sometimes less and i do enjoy my afternoon nap! i can get around okay, still not driving cause of pain pills but taking very few now and will probably be driving this weekend. you need to remember to take good care of yourself, you need to be your #1 priority after you have this done best of luck lilykate
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/04 12:45 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
My first week post-op was pretty much like all of my weeks pre-op. I was lazy before, and tired after. I was on clear liquids, which aren't a lot of fun. The most important thing I can suggest is getting a cup in which you can mark (or have marked) the number of ounces so you can keep track of what you drink...with pen and paper. For me, getting in all the liquids hasn't been easy, because who can look forward to the same flavor every day? I also highly suggest getting some tongs that you can pitch...until your drain is removed, wiping will be quite difficult
Dj _.
on 7/14/04 2:11 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Nancy, I'm just 3 days post op. I had the surgery on Monday, came home Tuesday afternoon. The I have no tubes, or drains or anything. They removed the staples before I left. Where the incisions are (I had Lap RNY), it feels as if I had done 100 situps the night before. When I stand, there's a stretch that pulls, but after a few steps I'm able to walk properly. I try to do laps around my house every hour or so (the mosquitos are SO bad outside, that just walking from the car to the back door, I was biten 6 times...so I try to stay inside). I'm taking 1 Percocet about every 4 hours to keep the pain down. It helps to allow me to walk and be about. I would suggest walking in the hospital as soon as you can, and as often. I was told to keep the pain meds ahead of the pain to allow the walking around. Also...I didn't read, or use my robe. But I did use Blistex and my slippers. I would put the Blistex on when I knew I'd be sleeping, and when I woke up my lips were still soft. The slippers were great...just slip them on and away I went. I wore the hospital gown, and robe...was easier to manage with IV in. Good luck to the rest of our July babies! Deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views