Is anyone else mourning food before surgery????

Denise W.
on 7/6/04 9:14 pm - MD
I am sure I want this surgery and have gone through h@ll for the last 2 years to get to this point...but the last few days I've noticed an interesting thing. When I eat something it dawns on me that I will never again be able to eat a mouthful of food again....I know this sounds weird, but I guess I am going through the missing my best friend food before surgery. Anyone else going through this? And new postops...please tell me that after surgery food is not the big deal it is now.
Sarah C.
on 7/6/04 10:13 pm - Cornettsville, KY
Denise, I am preop and kinda goin thru the same thing. I am from the South and we love to eat here lol....but i think what you are going thru is perfectly normal. Good luck!
Irene S.
on 7/6/04 11:24 pm - NJ
Hi Denise, As a matter of fact, it's taken me more than 2.5 years to get to a surgery date, and I am going through the same thing. I have been involved with my surgeon's support group for more than a year, and many of them go out to eat after the meeting, so I've been around post-ops for a while. When I tell them that I can't imagine some aspect of eating post-op, many of them tell me that they couldn't imagine it pre-op either, but that post op we quickly change. It becomes normal to chew, to eat small portions and to feel truly satisfied with a taste of something. I think post op, some of us will find food is no longer a big deal, others really want to cook more than ever, inventing recipes adapted to our new lifestyle. For sure, you need to find an outlet other than food if you really want to achieve long term success.
IrishIze
on 7/7/04 12:23 am - NJ
This is so weird, but for the past two weeks or so I have no appetite! I don't know if it's the stress or what, but food just doesn't hold an appeal for me!! Can you believe it? My cousin brought brownies over for July 4 and usually brownies aren't safe anywhere near me. I had one, thought about never having one again, and honestly had no desire for any more. That is HIGHLY unusual for me. Usually it's: chocolate = eat it until it's gone. So, I don't know what's up with me, but at this point, where I probably should be eating all those things that I won't get to have anymore, I'm not interested. Very strange....
Denise W.
on 7/7/04 2:15 am - MD
Thanks to all of you......it is good to know that food's place in my life will diminish.....hmmmm what to replace it with....I know!! SHOPPING!!!
Barbara S.
on 7/7/04 9:58 am - Muscatine, IA
Denise I feel what your going through i kind of went through a food funeral 4 weeks ago but have been good this last two weeks to prep for surgery on july 12 think it is normal from what i have been tould best wishes and a speedy recovery Barb Schneckloth IA
Nita A.
on 7/7/04 12:47 pm - Fayetteville, NC
For some reason lately I have had not had much of an appetite. I went out to eat today and I couldn't even finsh my plate I got full so quickly. That is NOT normal, I thought to myself "What is wrong with you, don't you know you only have 9 more days of free eating before you start your pre-op diet" I also don't slepp very well, I'm thinking about so many things and it is getting to effect my sleeping patterns and my dreams. I guess that was a little more info than needed but, I had to get it off my chest...woooooohoooooooooo! I feel a little better already!
Susalita
on 7/7/04 11:57 pm - Grand Forks, ND
I'm not mourning it, I'm enjoying my "last meals". I treated myself to Red Lobster this week, and ordered Pizza last night. I'm looking forward to my new life so I'm not really in a period of mourning at all. No matter how I have used food in the past, I have decided that I am NOT going to let it control me anymore. Food is fuel, not a friend. (Just think of the sharks in Finding Nemo, "Fish are friends, not food"). Perhaps trying to tell ourselves that before didn't work for us, but using positive self talk as a tool combined with the surgery, I think we'll be successful!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views