Will the doc know I've cheated???

Belle
on 7/6/04 10:39 am - Paragould, AR
Hi all, Just curious but my surgery is Thursday morning and I was wondering can the doctor tell if I got off my liquid diet two days before I'm set for my open procedure? I went almost all day today without eating and couldn't help myself when I saw the fresh strawberries in the fridge after I got home from work. I sliced several and wouldn't feel so guilty but I sprinkled some sugar on them. I swear food never tasted so good...especially after having been on a liquid diet since the 28th of June! Yuck! My aunt was upset with me when I called and told her what I did. My aunt is an RN and told me that I will probably be chewed out for cheating. I realize that 24 hours prior to surgery is strictly liquids. However, two days before surely shouldn't be that noticeable. Can anyone tell me if they think the doctor will be able to notice any tell tale signs of a hidden strawberry seed or two after I'm cut open? Belinda
(deactivated member)
on 7/6/04 12:25 pm - Somewhere Else
I don't see that eating a couple days before your surgery should be a big deal, I'm allowed to eat up until midnight the night before surgery (tonight)....I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck....and God bless. Linda
Traci H.
on 7/6/04 12:27 pm - New Orleans, LA
Whether they can tell or not, don't beat yourself up about it! It is HARD to follow a liquid diet. I too am on full-liquid pre-op diet and know your pain. While I really have no idea if they'll be able to tell or not, the only think I can think is that you may have food left in your intestines from your moment of weakness vs. being all cleaned out from only liquids. But like I said....I'm totally guessing. Good luck and stay strong! Traci
IrishIze
on 7/6/04 1:23 pm - NJ
My only pre-op instruction is nothing to eat from midnight the night before surgery. I wonder if he's testing you to see if you'll be able to follow instructions after the surgery?? Anyway, what's done is done - don't beat yourself up. Nancy
Belle
on 7/6/04 10:35 pm - Paragould, AR
Hi all, I appreciate all the positive feedback that I've received regarding my strawberry binge. I realize what I did was a no-no and promised myself this morning that it was strictly liquids till midnight tonight. I'm soooo excited because my surgery is set for 7:30 in the morning. I have to be at the hospital no later than 5:30. I can't wait to be on the losing side. Hugs, Belinda
GWilliamson
on 7/7/04 10:24 am - Irmo, SC
Wow, liquid diet for over a week. That must be real torture, especially knowing that's the same thing you will be doing after surgery. Doctors are so different. I am allowed food until midnight the night before surgery. My doctor does tell us to eat high protein low fat for 1 month preceding surgery to help shrink the liver. The smaller the liver, the less likely they will have to convert from lap to open. Good luck!!!! Gwen
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views