Feelings of DOOM

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/04 1:52 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Anyone else out there have a feeling of impending doom? Try as I might to focus on the positive aspects of this surgery, I cannot keep the bad thoughts out of my head. For example, last night, I was thinking about my yearly Christmas Eve party, and about what to serve and how I will look. Then, an image flashed into my head that my surgeon was giving my family bad news. Is this my subconscious dealing with my fears, or is it God sending me a warning? The surgeon I chose is supposed to be an excellent one. He has completed 700 gastric bypasses, and has never lost a patient. The program that he works through also has a 100% survival rate. Other than being 350lbs, I am not really high risk. My BP is regulated with medicine, and my sleep apnea will be dealt with appropriately. Everyone tells me that because I am young, I should do very well. Throughout this journey, I have flipped-flopped between being excited and terrified. Now, I am basically calm, but feel doomed. Please tell me that I am not alone on this!
Irene S.
on 7/5/04 2:27 am - NJ
I think that it's normal to feel this way. I think that some of us will wonder until the surgery is over, and that's just the way it is. I had a lot of setbacks in my journey and I've wondered the same thing. But I also look at the other side of things and wonder instead if this is a test to see how much I want this surgery. You have done your research, and you are putting yourself in good hands. Keep as busy as you can so the time flies! irene
stewart G.
on 7/5/04 2:39 am - LONDON, UK
hi, i have just had lapbanding surgery on friday - july 2nd, and i know how you feel , i was nervous on the day, but a few hours later and its all over, im up and moving around and at home, so try to stay focused, and it will be all right, and try not to worry too much. stew
IrishIze
on 7/5/04 3:47 am - NJ
Pam, I agree with the others - it's perfectly normal to have feelings of anxiety. All surgery is risky. I'm sure the fact that you have few co-morbidities and are relatively healthy is well in your favor. Before you know it, you'll be back here telling us how well it went! Hang in there - we're all praying for you and thinking of you! Hugs, Nancy
Peggy G.
on 7/5/04 5:19 am - Ventura, CA
Pamela, I also sometimes think I won't survive this surgery. But I look at it two ways. 1. Lets see......death of a heart attack, or death on the operating table...either is still death. And eventually, I will have a heart attack if I don't do something now! 2. I've been persuing this for a year, and if I can actually make it over this hurdle, I'll have a MAJOR chance to be skinny for life. Something I've ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wanted. Hang in there girl. Lets hope and pray we BOTH make it. Peggy
jcordell
on 7/5/04 6:23 am - TX
EVERYONE IS GOING TO MAKE IT. Period. We certainly wouldn't have come so far and been through so much just to not make it. How anticlimactic would that be??? Hang tough, put your faith in God that He will guide you through this journey, and think positive thoughts. Pray for inner peace, and it will be granted. You have a lot of people praying for you, and sending positive thoughts...I know you'll do great, and you will be so happy for deciding to give yourself this tool. God Bless.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views