Question: What is your pre surgery requirements

Angela H.
on 7/4/04 12:35 pm - Marysville, OH
for bowel clensing. My Dr. never mentioned it and it isn't in any of my preop papers. I bought an enema and plan to do a liquid diet 2 days pre op. Is that too much, too little? Am I missing things? I would rather not have to deal with a BM in the hospital if I don't have to. Thanks Angela
(deactivated member)
on 7/4/04 1:30 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I was told to do a full liquid diet the day before surgery, and take nothing but my BP medicine after midnight. The surgeon also recommended that I try to lose weight the last week, because it would be easier for him to do my surgery lap. He suggested protein shakes (ick!), but especially wanted me to steer clear of salad. On Wednesday and Thursday, I did a liquid diet, Friday was MOSTLY liquid, and Saturday I gave up. Today was mostly liquid, but I did end up eating some rice. Tomorrow, I cannot cheat at all! Hopefully I will have lost SOMETHING, because for the most part, my calorie intake has been low.
IrishIze
on 7/4/04 1:46 pm - NJ
Gosh, I didn't get any pre op prep as far as diet or bowel cleansing is concerned....
Traci72
on 7/4/04 4:27 pm - Hastings, MN
After reading numerous things here about bowel cleansing, I was THRILLED to learn that I would not have to do it. The only "restrictions" I have are that I am not supposed to be eating high fat/calorie meals in the 2wks preceeding surgery (to keep my liver from becoming enlarged) and nothing....food or drink...after midnite prior to surgery.
Brandi H.
on 7/4/04 4:35 pm - Sparta, IL
HI, My doctor just told me nothing by mouth after midnight on the night of the 5th and my surgery is the morning of the 7th. Not even chewing gum! But other than that I just go in as normal! Brandi
lsutiger80
on 7/4/04 4:35 pm - Metairie, LA
I have to have clear liquids only on Tuesday (day before surgery) nothing after midnite and mag. citrate about 5 pm Tuesday for bowel prep. Can take my meds with just a SIP of water the day of surgery. That's about it from my surgeon's instructions. I did lose about 15 lbs before surgery but not mandatory. Rhonda
Nita A.
on 7/4/04 5:05 pm - Fayetteville, NC
I have to start the Cabbage Soup diet 1 full week before surgery my last "free will" meal will be July 16. He said it would help shrink liver.
stef 1.
on 7/5/04 2:02 am - Belleville, IL
clear liquids the week before--suppose to shrink my liver and make surgery easier--
Tina I.
on 7/5/04 4:46 am - Minot AFB, ND
My doctor does not have any requirements prior to surgery. WHich really surprised me. But I went on liquids Sunday and Monday because I do not want to have to worry about a BM either while in the hospital. It has been a little tough for me (especially since I had a big BBQ here yesterday) but I am tough and ready!!! Tomorrow is the big day!! Tina
Sarah C.
on 7/5/04 5:26 am - Cornettsville, KY
my doc hasnt mentioned a bowel prep but i plan on taking fleet laxative day or 2 befor surgery date. he hasn't mentioned about being on a liquid diet to lose weight before surgery either...i think it is soooo weird how each doc has their own "things to do/things not to do" list lol....but i have given up a lot of sugar and still watching what i eat. the best thing to do is ask the doc about things u are uncertain about. TTFN!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views