Gallbladder in or out????

NadineM
on 7/3/04 12:14 am - Vancouver, WA
Hello All fellow July mates! Just wondering if any of you are wutomatically having your gallbladder removed at surgery? I asked my surgeon and she said no, not unless they need to? I have heard it's better to get out now so you don't have to take it out later and go through another surgery. My surgeon is considered to be the best in the area,but I am concerned about her choice. I would hate to go through the gallbladder scare and pain of some people I have read about....Thanks! Nadine
Irene S.
on 7/3/04 1:01 am - NJ
My surgeon leaves it in too, unless there are gallstones. When he leaves the gallbladder in, he prescribes Actigall for his patients because this is supposed to drastically reduce gall bladder problems related to massive weight loss. If he leaves my gall bladder, I intend to MAKE SURE to take that prescription, since I share your concern!
PATTI B.
on 7/3/04 7:43 am - GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO
Hi Nadine. I am fortunate enough to have had my gb out previously. I have heard from my doctor that a side effect of the surgery due to the diet we consume afterwards is gallbladder problems. Also, it can be very painful and dangerous if it flares up. You might ask her if she would consider it. Then you only have one recovery time not two. When are you scheduled. I am the 6th in Fort Collins, CO. Good luck with whatever decision you choose
Denise W.
on 7/3/04 7:50 am - MD
My doctor removes the gallbladder during surgery if you have gallstones. I have a bunch of whoppers but no symptoms...go figure. Definitely get the actigall if your doctor doesn't remove it.
kep777
on 7/3/04 7:54 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I am having RNY surgery on 7-7-04. The surgeons in my group always take out the gall bladder since the rate of gall bladder problems are so high afterwards. I, for one, am glad they are taking it out. I don't want to face another surgery in the future, other than maybe a tummy-tuck when I lose the weight. Take care!!
Gale P.
on 7/3/04 2:16 pm - Salisbury, MD
Nadine My surgeon takes the gall bladder during surgery. He feels that most WLS patients have to have it removed anyway in a few months so instead of going through another surgery, takes care of it right then. I'm glad because after this I don't think I'll want anymore surgery for quite sometime. Gale
mailbag
on 7/3/04 2:21 pm - Imperial, CA
my wls is 7/22/04 he said it looked ok will they still remove it during wls if it's on the line???? (bite nails() trish
IrishIze
on 7/4/04 12:13 am - NJ
My surgeon also leaves it in if there are no signs of problems. I did sign a release that allows him to remove it if he feels it necessary. He did tell me that if he didn't remove it, he would put me on meds to help prevent stones.
Tracy P.
on 7/4/04 1:17 am - Bronx, NY
I'm having it taken out at the same time as the WLS, I have stones. My Surg said if I didnt he would have left it in. But I'm glad he's taking it out, my cousin who had the surgery almost a year ago, was just recently in the hospital for gall bladder pain. She's going to have to have it removed now. I know its wrong to take out a healthy organ, but if its so common that you will have complications when you lose the weight, they should take it out.
Alli G.
on 7/4/04 2:50 pm - Troy, NY
Hi Nadine, I asked my docter and nutritionist why they like to leave it in, and what they said is that the gallbladder will help you to better digest your food, making heavy foods more pallable. He also said when they take out the gallbladder, more often than not, you will be vomiting and diarreah and it is not very fun. All the patients we have had on our floor at the hospital where I work that have had their gallbladders removed have an NG tube up the nose, and are constantly nauseated. I hope they don't take mine, because I'd rather save myself the trouble. The actigall I was told erases the possibility of you developing gallstones from rapid weight loss. Let me know if this helps? -Allison
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views