Poll: How many people are you telling?

IrishIze
on 7/2/04 1:14 am - NJ
I've only told a few people about my WLS. I have told a couple of other people I am having surgery, but have not told them what type of surgery. Here's the thing. I've always been an up front and open person. I'd like to be able to tell people the truth, but I feel WLS is a very controversial subject and I don't want to be the person people whisper about. Also, I don't want to be under a microscope and if I gain a few pounds down the road, feeling like people will be saying: 'see, I knew it wouldn't work'. Gosh, am I making any sense??? My parents know, and my mother is after me to tell my sister, who I used to be very close with, but not so much anymore. My sister has found a new life and really doesn't bother with me and my family anymore. I don't want to tell her because in my opinion, she's very judgemental and at this point, who needs it? On the other hand, I know people will be speculating about why I'm losing so much weight, and more importantly, asking me how I'm losing so much. I'm not a good liar - what do I do?????
Heather M.
on 7/2/04 1:28 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
Okay, I wasn't going to tell anyone except family. Well, then I had to tell the parents of the kids I watch (one of which is a nurse and her sister-in-law is having the surgery July 6th). Then my husband told some people at work, then I told some of my friends and now I'm just so excited about it I have to fight back telling total strangers. Seriously it's like I try and work that into normal conversations. (i.e. we are looking at buying a new car and somehow felt the need to tell the car salesman that it would be nice to have a new car to ride home in after my wls) Why did I feel like I needed to say that? Who knows? Maybe I'm hoping someone will ask me about it and I can help educate them or help if they need it. Heather BTW: I'm not sure what happened to my post yesterday, only I could erase my whole post while trying to post it.
(deactivated member)
on 7/2/04 3:33 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I have told the people who need to know. Basically, members of my family (I am close with both my family and my husband's family) because it would be stupid to lie to them. My husband also told three of his close friends (these are people I see frequently who would figure it out anyway). Since I have no friends, I don't have to worry about that I am more concerned about the people I meet in the future (jobs, etc.). Do I really want to rehash all the details of my obese life and subsequent journey? Do I want to be known as the "former fat girl who had surgery" or would I rather be known as "Pamela." I just don't know how I feel about this part right now. I'm guessing I will tell others on a "need-to-know" basis.
NIPPERZIG
on 7/2/04 5:19 am - Vero Beach, FL
I've told everyone that comes into contact w/me! Then, after surgery whoever doesn't know, I see no reason to tell them. Take Care Gina
alli E.
on 7/2/04 8:55 am - CA
I have not told anyone really! Only two people. It is private and i feel like u do! JUDGEMENT cant wont handle it now. I am gonna tell my Mom soon--- not yet.... My date is july 14---- i am not ashamed just scared of judgment and what they will think................. Do what u r heart says! I am here for u!!!!!!!!!!!
Mel S.
on 7/2/04 11:36 am - La Quinta, CA
My parents, husband daughter and one very good friend . I'm not someone who gets into "organ recitals" (discussing the gory details of my health with others anyway. I tend to be fairly reserved about my personal life anyway. I'm a teacher and scheduled it so I would be out of school and over the worst of it before fall. After our principal spent half a staff meeting describing our secretary's fibroids- I would need truth serum AND torture before I would tell people at work!!!
Lisa H.
on 7/2/04 11:46 am - Lake City, FL
I had surgery on July 1st and I told everyone. If they knew I was having surgery, they knew what it was for. All of my friends and family know. And pretty much all acquaintences. I've had all good responses and so many people have called to check on me. One friend even brought food over for the family tonight. It really helps to have people thinking about me. Lisa H.
Irene S.
on 7/2/04 11:53 am - NJ
I told my husband and son (14 yo), my mom and siblings, and about 4 friends. That's it. After surgery, I don't care! I have a very close friend who is dying of breast cancer, so I'm sure people will wonder if I'm sick when I start shrinking. So I will probably not keep it secret then. I just don't want the baggage of people that tell you they knew someone, that knew someone that knew of someone's cousin,.... Only to give you a horror story. irene
cosette
on 7/2/04 3:49 pm - Tujunga, CA
My brother. My shrink. My angel. That's it. And when people ask how I lost weight, I think I'll just say: high protein, little meals. If they press, maybe I'll tell them, but this is about me, not them. So why worry what they want to know or think?
Sarah C.
on 7/2/04 11:55 pm - Cornettsville, KY
I tried to tell people and they automatically were like " OH my GOD, WHat? Dont u know how DANGEROUS it is? You will STARVE ---Blah blah blah....." So I am not going to mention it to anyone else anymore! I just wish people understood how it feels to be on OBESE person....I told some of the people to have a couple people jump on their back and carry them around all day and see how judgemental they become then. Especially the skinny friends that have NO clue -whatsoever- what it is like being overweight! When people begin to ask me how I am losing weight, I might tell them, but I aint gonna make no special effort lol! Nancy, just concentrate on a speedy recovery and everything will work itself out!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views