July 19th Babies -Tuesday Talk!

IrishIze
on 6/29/04 2:03 am - NJ
Well, I got through my sleep test last night, and I'm so relieved it's over! I have my nuclear stress test next week, then the pre-admission testing on July 10 and surgery 9 days later. Guess it's really happening!!! I'm wondering how everyone is preparing for their surgery? I'm kind of a last minute Charlie. I really would love to get a list going of what kind of supplements we need to have when we get home, etc. I know I am going to buy some children's Tylenol for the first week or two (man, am I going to miss my Advil!! ) and I think I was told to get Flintstones chewables. What else should we add to the list?
dbvaughn
on 6/29/04 4:50 am - Grandville, MI
Nancy, I had my pre-op test yesterday and meet with the nutritionist and surgical nurse on the 8th. We were told that they would tell us in this meeting what we need to get, etc. Deb
kellyh26
on 6/29/04 5:27 am - White Bluff, TN
You'll need some 100% pure Whey protein, (GNC). You'll need to get you some sugar free popsiles, crystal lite (peach is my fav), sugar free jello ( I hear this will be our best friend) I was also told not to get any of this that was red for some reason not sure why. Get a blender if you don't already have one. B12 vititam (GNC has one that you put under your tounge taste like cherry it really good) Yes the Flintstone chewables (walmart's brand is ok too, and a tad cheaper) you'll probably also need an iron tablet... the best thing to do is call and ask your doc's office if they have a shopping list for you to go by.. Best of luck and God's speed to you. Kelly
Heather M.
on 6/29/04 6:22 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
Yea! I'm so glad you survived the sleep study! Now what the heck is a nuclear stress test? Sounds painful to me, lol. I've been told you'll also need chewable calcium citrate with vitamin D. The calcium citrate is best absorbed and you'll need to get 1500mg a day. Make sure you get the "complete" chewable childrens vitamins. Some people may require extra iron or vitamin B-12. The iron and the B-12 I'm waiting until I get my first set of blood tests done to see if I need it. Plus at that time I should be well enough to go and buy it then if I need it. As for protein you'll need to get at least 60g a day in supplement or eat 75 - 100g a day. Don't forget your water. You'll need at least 48oz a day. I'm only buying for the first week at home after that I'll just get my stuff when we do our normal grocery shopping every week. I have been trying different types of protien trying to find one I like but I'm not stocking up because I may like it now but can't stand it after the surgery. My hubby will probably have to make a few trips to the store when I get back. lol Well, I better get running still need to find a hotel for when we go to El Paso for the surgery. Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
AngelFlyingHappy
on 6/29/04 7:15 am - Oxnard, CA
I've completed my EKG and Chest Xray, all I need to have done is blood work and a PFT test. I do all that July 6. Then I'm all ready for surgery. It seems weird that so many people require different things. My shopping list is: Gatorade, Crystal Lite, Sugar Free Jello and Popsycles, Protein Shakes and Broth. Everything clear for 10 days. I bought Centrum Complete Chewable Vitamins. I think I'm going to go to the doctor for B12 shots instead of taking the sublingual. Other than that, its wait wait and wait for the 19th to get here.
Heather M.
on 6/29/04 7:43 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
Okay how do I get my picture to show next to my message?
IrishIze
on 6/29/04 9:47 am - NJ
On my list of supplements from the nutritionist, there is something called ADEK's by ScandaPharm and you have to order it by phone. The directions are chew twice daily - best if taken with food). Does anyone know what this is? I know everyone's surgeon suggests different diets and different timeframes, but check out this site....it's all in one place. http://www.sinaiweightlosssurgery.com/documents/nutritional_guidelines_gastric_bypass.pdf
Teri S.
on 6/30/04 12:19 am - Walden, NY
Hey Nancy!!! Vitamin's A,D,E, and K are the fat soluable vitamins... that means that when we drastically cut down our fat intake, we cannot absorb these as well from food, so we need to supplement.... pretty basic, actually!! Your Dr. is really on top of things, since he's the first I've heard to recommend them!!!! Bad news on me personally.... I've had to reschedule!!!!! I really didn't want to, but my DH had planned a vacation to Vegas 7/25 and obviously I couldn't go (told them to go without me, but they weren't happy) , but I decided I was being selfish refusing to change 2 weeks. I've been losing my mind trying to figure this out for a week now, trying to decide what to do!(trip couldn't be rescheduled.... nonrefundable and all that!!)I was up all night actually feeling nauseaus about the whole thing, but I left it in God's hands and decided if the surgeon said it was no problem, I'd change it. So, boo-hoo, he said no problem, so I'll be 8/2 instead!! I'll be praying for you on the 19th and feeling very jealous!!!!! I'll keep in touch on the main and New York Boards, but I'll check in on you on the NJ one if you ever go there!!! Good luck!!!!! Teri
Jamie D.
on 6/30/04 3:04 am - Ontario, CA
This is so weird. I'm set for the 19th in Calif. but they haven't given me a list of all i need yet. Preop is the 16th and from what i've heard they don't do the chest xray or blood, all of that was done a few months prior, minus the chest xray. So it is very different. I'm set for the roux en y open. Nervous as ever but ready too. I just have to get everything in order now before i go. what is the children's tylenol for?
IrishIze
on 6/30/04 1:11 pm - NJ
I have to have my pre-op / pre admission testing no earlier than 2 weeks prior to surgery. Also, I have to have my medical clearance from my PCP no earlier than one week prior to surgery. I'm having the pre admission testing done at the hospital - they do it all there and I'm glad they do it on weekends since I don't want to take too much more time off of work before I go out in disability.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views