JULY 19th Babies - Coffee Break!!

IrishIze
on 6/28/04 3:05 am - NJ
How is everyone doing today? You know, for the first time since I started getting my approvals, etc. for this surgery, I got nervous about the surgery itself! I was putting so much energy into getting the approvals, I didn't think too much about the actual surgery! Today I had someone send me a very detailed email about her hospital stay, etc. and I kind of got nervous. It was actually a good review of the hospital I'm going to be in, but I just felt myself tensing up. I'm going to try and think past the hospital and the surgery and picture myself at a healthy weight, walking my dogs on the beach and feeling so happy that I made this decision. I have my sleep study tonight and I think I'm dreading that more than I am the surgery. Has anyone gone through a sleep study?
Heather M.
on 6/28/04 5:04 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
Heather here, checking in. For some reason I'm not that nervous about the surgery. Maybe it's because I'm occupied right now with trying to find a hotel for my husband and son while I'm in the hospital. We're military and having the surgery done on a military base. Which apparently is having some big "woop-te-do" the same time I'm having my surgery and all of the hotels near by are booked full. Aghhhhhhhhh. I'm hoping that if push comes to shove they'll be able to get into the "Fisher House" which is right next to the hospital. They would be able to qualify to stay there since I am having surgery. Only problem is that they only have 6 rooms and they can only quarentee 48hrs in advance. I've contact someone *****cently had the surgery done at the same hospital as I'm going to. Her husband got back to me and said that she was out of town but would have her call me as soon as she got back. I've heard that the ICU is wonderful but when you get moved to the floor you're pretty much on your own. Understaffed... typical. So I decided to splurge and get all sorts of little goodies for me while I'm on the floor. In fact I just got back from Bath & Body Works and spent over a $100 dollars there. I got lotion, shower gel, body spray, eye mask, eye pillow, lip balm, eye cream, the travel size of my face cleaning system, slippers and a nice big bag. Just things that I can do (or my husband can do for me) to make me feel nice. I didn't have to do a sleep study. I'm not even sure what it is. All I've heard about it is that everyone is nervous about doing it. You'll have to tell me all about it. You'll be fine. What can be so hard about sleeping? Then again I would probably have a hard time with it if someone was going to be watching me sleep all night. I would be worried that I would fart or drool on my pillow really bad. My snoring would probably keep all the other people up. LOL Okay I better get running and try and get these kids to take a nap. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Remember 3 weeks from today we'll be waking up from our surgeries new people with a fresh lease on life! There's nothing we can't do! Hugs, Heather (7/19/04)
IrishIze
on 6/28/04 6:06 am - NJ
What a nice idea to get yourself some goodies for after surgery! How long do you expect to be in? I think my doc said I'd be released on Wednesday - does that sound a little soon? Maybe I'll get mysel some goodies too....I have to learn to get goodies that aren't chocolate or sugary!! LOL!! I just got off the phone with the hospital. I have my pre-admission testing set for Saturday, July 10. She told me my surgery is set for 8:30 AM and I have to be there at 6 AM. Works for me! I'd rather have it early than have to wait all day. Well, I'll let you know how I make out with my sleep study....think of me tonight all wired up and miserable!! Ha!
Heather M.
on 6/28/04 6:48 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
This is what I've been told to expect for the surgery. Monday: surgery - go to ICU afterwards. Tuesday - ICU may get released to the floor. I should (depending on how I'm doing) get released anywhere from Thursday to Saturday. They said plan on being there the whole week. I've heard some people getting released as soon a 3 days after the day of surgery. I'm getting things to pamper myself with and bringing my own entertainment. We have a portable DVD player and I figured between my walks my 2 yr old and I could watch movies. I hope I can get a private room that way my hubby and son can stay with me as much as possible. Speaking of my son... being separated from him is going to be my biggest hurdle to get over. After he was born I quit work and started doing home child care to stay home with him. The longest we've been apart is probably 3 hrs. I wish him and my husband could stay at the hospital with me. I'm going cookoo right now thinking about being away from him. So for the sleep study, it's only one night, right? I was thinking about this, I have to go to sleep with the tv on. Do they let you sleep with the tv on? What size bed do you have to sleep in? I would probably fall out of a twin, lol. Can you "fail" a sleep study or do it wrong? I could never do that. I'm so glad the military doesn't make you do it. Well, I'm off again for now. (okay, okay, your right I'm always off, lol) Heather (7/19/04)
Teri S.
on 6/28/04 10:33 pm - Walden, NY
Hey Heather!!!! I'm also a military spouse, and having my surgery at West Point, NY. (7/19, also!!)Are you having open or lap? The surgeon here only does open because there's no one else trained in lap to assist him..... Teri S
alli E.
on 6/28/04 6:50 am - CA
Hi Nancy! I am very excited too! I try not to think of the hospital stuff because I would freak myself out! I have never been in a hospital (only when I was born) and to visit sick people. I am curious about the detailed email of a hospital stay you received?... pass it along if possible. I am really starting to shop for items I will need--- slippers, sippy cup, food processor, a book, a scale (WAHOOO!!) and vitamins. What are you buying so far??? I cannot believe it is 15 days away for me!!!! JULY 14!!! OH MY! Keep me posted! Sleep study is for those with Sleep Apena (sp??) and it is a good thing to do.
IrishIze
on 6/28/04 9:33 am - NJ
Hi Alice, here's the exerpt from the email I got. The person is talking about the hospital I'll be staying in. "Hello Nancy! Yes, I did have surgery at Holy Name. It is a nice hospital and the nurses are nice. Also it pays to be VERY nice to them! During my stay a few nurses told me that most people are grumpy because they are recovering so they aren't treated very nicely. So when I treated them very nicely, I got a few perks. For example, one nurse washed my hair, or really tried to get a chocolate shake for me in the morning........and much more. Oh there is this VERY VERY VERY nice old nun that washes hair I think about 2-3 times a week volantuarily. She is such a sweet heart! I am sure you will bump into her ;) Oh and they have this NEAT small monitor that you can move up down, right left, to your liking. They have cable, games, and some relaxing channel (didn'****ch it). They do have the internet. When I was there they just installed it so it was free, however the nurse did say they were going to start charging soon. Which is interesting because when my bf went for surgery, about 5 weeks later, it was still free ;) Hopefully still is!! Now the only major problem I had with the hosptial is that the air conditioning kept breaking in some rooms. By all means BUG the nurses to call the tech guys. I was very angry because by the time they did come, the guy mentioned he recieved only one call. If you can, get the number to them yourself and call. The rooms get pretty warm if the a/c is not working. My second issue is that the rooms are small which (which is a huge complaint of the nurses) but its fine if you have your own room (but most likely you will have a roomie). If I remember correctly, the floor you will be staying in 6th marion. What bugs me is that the nurses tell me that the 5th floor is NICE. It's remodeled and more spacious, but at the time was only for general surgery. 3rd issue, they do not allow anyone...not even family members to stay the night with you!!! I think it's hospital policy and again there isn't much room for the nurses to work if there is another person in the room. But overall it was a nice expirence. I met some VERY VERY lovely nurses who were extremely kind and I wish I remembered their names. One nice girl.......she is an RN....red hair....irish girl........is VERY nice! Matter of fact I think she is the only redhead there. Now on the day of your surgery, the admin. desk well tell you to go up to 6th Marion........and the nurse will lead you to your room and give your grown and let you know when the surgical nurses are coming. Then they are there they will give you a ride on the hosptial bed to the surgical floor. Then they will ask you to move over the table, and then the gas mask will be placed on your head, and your out! Right after the surgery they will take you to your room, and most likely you will sleep for the rest of the day. You will have a tube in your nose (I think to drain out any blood in your stomach, I may be wrong) and maybe an oxygen mask. I think they will take out the tube on the 2nd day. They will want you to walk around as soon as you can. You will find that you will have to bend over a little bit to walk comfortably, thankfully, the IV will still be on and it has a place where you can hold on to it. But you will find the 3 days will fly fast! " The young woman who sent me that is as sweet as pie and has been such a support to me. I've never met her but she has become so dear to me - reading her email I'm sure you can see why! I'm trying not to think about the hospital stuff either. I can tell you this, I have been in the hospital before and all my worrying before was never worth it. It was never as bad as I imagined it to be...remember, we'll all be going through the same thing together, so let's hold 'cyber' hands!!
Ken W.
on 6/29/04 1:39 pm - Conyers, GA
We all know the surgery is not pleasant but it is the goal we are after and the surgery is going to be worth it. Just remember the surgery will only help with the physical part of life. You still have the emotional part to take care of too............
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views