Open vs Lap

Sherry Sonson
on 6/27/04 8:58 am - Valdese, NC
Hello everyone, My name is Sherry and I am new here and I am from NC. Dr.Cook is my surgen and I my surgery is on July 20th. At this point I thought I was never going to my surgery date, because my Insurance said they never recieved my medical records 5 weeks ago, but finally things are going good, except I remember that my Dr. told me because of my old Gall Bladder scar; I could wind up with the open sugery instead of the Lap, has anyone here had the open? He is going in as the Lap but probably will have to go into the Open he said, which could take 4 hours. I am so scared. I do appreicate all the imput that anyone has to offer. God Bless and thank you, Sherry Sonson - Hickory, NC
IrishIze
on 6/27/04 9:14 am - NJ
I am having open RNY on July 19th. I have had two cesarean sections and a hysterectomy, so my surgeon felt a little more comfortable doing the open. Hey, he's the surgeon! It's normal to be frightened, but I am trying to set my sights on 6 months down the road and how nice it will be to walk my dogs again and not have to turn back because of back pain, and to shop in regular stores rather than online or Lane Bryant. When I started this journey I put myself in God's hands, and although I sometimes want to grab control back, it's actually much easier to leave it with Him.
Katie T.
on 6/28/04 7:01 am - Sioux Falls, SD
Congrats on your surgery date - My date is the 20th of July also. I'm going in as Lap and my Dr. said that he has done several hundred lap procedures and only had to convert 2 cases due to the weight of the patient. All you can do is pray, can't do much about the scars and previous surgerys you've had. Hope all goes well for you. God Bless Katie
Teri S.
on 6/28/04 10:38 pm - Walden, NY
Hry Sherry! I'm having open on the 19th....statistics show much less incidents of leakage with an open as they can see much better.... less leakage means less postop chance of infection, a very big problem! So recovery is longer and you get a nasty scar, but I'm not planning on a bikini anyway, so who cares?? Just a day or two extra in the hospital and more vacation time at home to recover..... I'll take open and the peace of mind!!! Teri S
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views