What do I bring to the hospital?

Heather M.
on 6/25/04 5:38 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
I've never been in a hospital for any period of time. I was there when I had my son but I was there less then 48hrs (including labor and delivery), so you really couldn't count that as much of a stay. I mean should I bring my own night gown, robe, slippers. My own means of entertainment. I'm just not sure how the whole hospital thing works. I have my surgery on July 19th (man, that's so weird to say) and was told I'll probably be there the rest of the week and get discharged that weekend. So where looking at 5-6 days. I've heard ICU and the hospital is good but when they move you to the floor they are really understaffed and the care is not that hot. My husband will be there but he will also have our 2 yr. old son to take care of. So any suggestions on what people are taking with them to the hospital fell free to let me know. Heather (7/19/04)
sradcli74
on 6/25/04 6:05 am
Hi Heather, Another member, Peggy, sent me this email, I'm still pre-op, but her list is pretty inclusive. I'm going to bring everything she has listed. Here goes: Here are tips that some wise post-op gave me, they are items to bring to the hospital (and why) 1) Eye mask - this way when the nurses turn on the lights in the middle of the night, you won't be blinded 2) Maxi pads - 95% of child bearing age end up getting their period within 1 to 2 days of this surgery. I timed my surgery so that it would be after my menstrual cycle but I came prepared to the hospital anyway..... good thing because my aunt "flow" came to visit and it was for a heavy stay! 3) Flushable bathroom wipes & a wooden spoon (10 inches long) - after having surgery its VERY hard to bend and wipe yourself after using the bathroom and what you do is wrap the flushable wipe around the spoon end and then swipe & clean.... this was THE BEST tip EVER. I brought the items just in case but didn't think I would need them since I figured my friend had her surgery done OPEN and I was having mine done LAP - but I was WRONG.... 4) CARMEX or some kind of chapstick - the ansthesia dries you out and then you don't get anything to drink for a day so carmex is your friend 5) Battery operated clock (costs about $4 at walgreens). This helped on the nights when I couldn't sleep. 6) Body pillow - I've slept with one of these for YEARS, and I brought it to the hospital to help ease the uncomfortable sitting and laying positions. If you fold the pillow in half and tuck it under your knees when laying down, it helps ease any back pain. Or when you are able you can use it to assist laying on your side. Mind you it wasn't until about a week after I got out of the hospital before I could lay on my right side, but it took about 6 weeks before I could lay on my left side (thats where the big LAP instruments were inserted so those muscles were SORE!!!) 7) Slip on shoes or flip flops to wear around the hospital and home - bending and tying shoes will be difficult for about a week 8) VERY comfy clothes to wear home from the hospital (I bought a supersized cheap nightgown and wore that home so I wouldn't have to change when I got home) Now for post hospital items: 1) Crystal light packets (to help get the clear fluids down) 2) Chicken or beef broth 3) Breyers sugar free popscicles (I think they are on sale at Jewel this week, buy one get one free) 4) Sugar free Jello 5) Applesauce 6) Ho****er bottle (you'll probably have some gas pain issues for a week or two and by placing the ho****er bottle on the belly it helps) 7) Heating pad (DON'T put this on your tummy!!! But you can use this on your back to help break up any gas issues also)
Jessica Senez (Lash)
on 6/25/04 6:05 am - MD
HELLO ....CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK my INDEPENDANCE DAY IS THE 19th AS well!!!! I have been in the hospital a few times for c-sections and my gallblader removal...I always brought my own night wear (more comfortale) and toothbrush and hygeine products cuz the hospitals are cheep....good luck !!!
Cathy I.
on 6/25/04 2:26 pm - Shelby Township, MI
Good Luck to all of us sharing a July 19th surgery date. Great list of items to bring to the hospital. I have never been hospitalized and the list will come in handy. I will have my surgery at Harper Hospital in Detroit. Everyone on the Michigan Board says to bring a fan, because the rooms are warm. Goodness knows the staples will be uncomfortable enough, without being warm! Cathy I
Tina P.
on 6/26/04 3:52 am - St. Petersburg, FL
Hey all.. I am a JULY 19TH pre op also!! This seems to be the day. I hope my surgeon has a good weekend prior. The list of hospital needs was good, I wrote down a few of them on my list also. I also added sf gum to moisten my mouth, a camera for post op pics, and a stuffed animal to remind me of my furkids while I'm gone and to help with the incision site while moving. Monday, July 19.. I am ready. Lubbins all- ~Tina~
MarinaS
on 6/26/04 6:45 am - Small Town, WA
I too am JULY 19 hopefully a lap RNY. I do not know about the gum as if accidently swallowed it could plug your stoma (although I am a regular gum chewer). I bought some oral B Brush Ups as I am told your mouth gets very dry. These are textured teeth wipes that you put on your finger and brush with. Good for the first day or two until we are allowed liquid. I got mine at COSTCO.
Heather M.
on 6/26/04 3:19 pm - Kirtland AFB, NM
Thank you everyone for all the great responses. I am so excited for all of us and know that we will all do great. As I go in for my surgery on the 19th I will say a little prayer for all of you in hopes that our surgeries go well and we all wake up knowing that what we did was the right thing for us. Is it silly to want to pack 3 weeks early? he he he Heather (7/19/04)
Beamer 1.
on 6/27/04 7:54 am - Franklin Square, NY
My date is July 19th as well. I wanted to know if the hospital had gowns for obese patients. The last time I was in the hospital to have surgery on my leg last year, I had to wear two gowns. One opening in the front and one opening in the back.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views