I got a date!!

ML
on 6/23/04 12:37 pm - MD
I finally got a date with Dr Singh- July 12th!! Was not expecting it to been so soon, but am estatatic, because it coincides withe me taking a break between jobs, and gives me just the time I need to recuperate. The downside is I have to go as a self pay- but hey, my health is worth it!! Problem is - I have kept my descision to have WLS very quiet - I have not really told any of my family how actively I have been pursuing having WLS. In discussions, my mother dismissed it as being the "easy way" out. As at now, am not really sure if I want to get my family involved in this, I live alone though , and would need to have someone with me immediately after the surgery. I now beginning to think, what if something happens to me on the operatieng table and that is the first my family hear of it? Has any one else had a similar experience/advice?
Wendi P.
on 6/23/04 3:27 pm - Hesperia, CA
Have your family go with you to you doc talk or orientation, so they can see how much you have to go through to get this done and how hard you have to work, for the rest of your life!! You definelty can use the support of family after surgery.
Jessica Senez (Lash)
on 6/24/04 12:53 am - MD
FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY AWESOME!!! and awesome choice of DR SINGH hes my DR TOO and iM sched for JULY 19th... It really helps to have support but then again if its negative then it makes it harder on you.... but having them come to the pre op classes is a good idea,,,,,, i wish you the best !!!!
Michelle L.
on 6/29/04 8:17 am - Warren, MI
First of all, congratulation on getting your date!!! My date is July 12th, too. You may be surprised about how your family reacts. When I discussed it casually with my family they responded pretty much the same way. I got the comments like "if you could just stick to a diet you wouldn't have this problem". What they don't understand is that it's more than just being overweight. They need to know that your health has being compromised because of your weight. If you don't already you will more than likely develop Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, sleep apnea, heart disease, etc. I am only 41 years old and have researched this surgery for 3 years. I have 2 little girls, ages 4 and 5, that I want to see grow up and have kids of their own. You still have so much to look forward to that you're missing out on because you're in pain, uncomfortable, self-conscience about your figure (yeah, we do have figures, they're just hybernating right now). Your family needs to hear from you that you have decided this surgery on your own without their input because you sincerely feel that they don't understand what your day-to-day life is like. They can't make this decision for you. All you ask them for is their support upon your recovery and their prayers and blessings. I know your mom's opinion is VERY important, and so is your future. She needs to see your confidence in your decision. If she's interested in more information she can visit this website or any other WLS site that can give her all the information she needs. She also needs to know that you didn't come to this decision sporadically. You had to give this surgery every consideration for your own safety and well being. Once you get your mom to see how much this means to you and how important it is to you the rest of the family will most likely open up to it, too. Mine did! May God bless you. See you on the other side . . . the skinny side, that is, Michelle L (I spell my name with 2 L's)!! July 12th - Harper Hospital, Detroit Medical Center
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views