Vacation or Surgery?

Teri S.
on 6/23/04 5:32 am - Walden, NY
You know how if you're too close to a situation you can't see straight? Well, here's my dilemma, and I need some help "seeing" through it. I got my surgery date yesterday of 7/19. I had been told it would be 6/28, so my DH booked a trip to Vegas for 7/25 (just a few days) since he has to use his vacation by 8/1 or lose it with his job. I knew I'd be wiped out, but figured I'd sleep while he and the kids ran around.( I'd be a month postop... no buffets for me!!!) Of course with the new date, it would be impossible for me to go. I told my DH to take the kids and go without me. He wants me to reschedule surgery for 8/2. Am I being selfish wanting this SOOOO bad that I don't want to reschedule 2 weeks later? I'm feeling like he just doesn't get it....but I could just be being a spoiled brat. One more complication is that I have to change insurance 8/20, and will no longer be able to use this Dr., so had hoped for more than 2 weeks follow up. Will it matter changing Dr.'s midstream??? So that's my soap opera for today. Roll it around in your heads a minute and let me know what you think!!!! Thanks!!!!!! Teri S.
Debbie B.
on 6/23/04 6:15 am - Milton, FL
In all honesty I would reschedule my surgery and wait for new insurance so that you can use the same doctor. Or if you are worried they won't approve you then have the surgery with your doctor that you have now after your vacation then switch doctors just as you were moving. Some doctors include so many visits with the surgery so check into that. Enjoy your vacation with your DH and kids. Then you can go home and have surgery. Just my thought. Debbie
kellyh26
on 6/23/04 6:51 am - White Bluff, TN
Teri, Check with the doc you have now about post op surgery visits most of those are included in the price of the surgery. And there is no way to know if or when the new insurance will approve you, I see it as going back to square one, tell your DH how toughtful and wonderful you think it is and ask him to take that vaction time and apply it to you after all aren't you worth it... and this time next year celabrate your REbirth day in Vegas... and make it worth his wait If he's where he needs to be in the support of you department he won't mind it all... Just one person thoughts.... Go for IT!!
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/04 8:12 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I would probably reschedule for 8/2. My reasoning is that you may want him around after surgery to help you out. Although I would hope that you have no complications, it's impossible to guarantee you won't. You also don't know how quickly you'll heal, and may need extra help for more than a week. I also think you're better off sticking with having surgery before the new insurance kicks in, because the next time around might come back with "exclusion!"
yolanda R.
on 6/23/04 9:22 am - millville, NJ
teri i think that you should go enjoy you vacation with your husband and your children and when you come back get the surgery if it been approved all ready it is nothing they can do because they approved it all ready fine and after that if you still cannot come up with a answer ask God he will show you the way wish you the best God bless you and you family
Tina I.
on 6/24/04 1:30 am - Minot AFB, ND
HI Teri. I can say that I am in a similar situation but not that way. My husband is in the Air Force and he has to start school tomorrow. My surgery is scheduled for July 6th. I asked him if he would like me to reschedule but he has said no way. WE have some wonderful friends here that are willing to help and we just got stationed here a few months ago. I would go ahead with your surgery. He has a few days to be with you after that to make sure that you are okay. Then you may want that "break" anyway. I am scared myself but I know my hubby has to have this class to get his next rank. It all comes down to how you feel. We are all here to lend support but it is your decision. I have waited so long for this (I started my journey at our last base in November where there is a 2 year waiting list) and I do not want to wait another minute. I like the idea of the one poster who said to go next year for your rebirthday. Good luck on your decision and keep us informed.
PattyS
on 6/25/04 2:34 am - Baltimore, MD
You are not being selfish! You have worked long & hard to get where you are today and you deserve it! I just got my date, it is July 9th --- at first I was hesitant because I had my sons 12th birthday scheduled for the 10th; I called him explained to him that I would be having surgery and this was the choice I gave him ~ you can either continue to have your party on the 10th, your dad can brig you to the hospital to see me or we can reschedule it later in the month so that I can be there. He chose to reschedule (how sweet). I did not want to wait till AUGUST for a date; I want it like yesterday and you have to ask yourself ...all that you do for your family, will this one family vacation without you kill them? --- To some this may sound harsh, but get it out of the way before you have to jump through hoops again! That's my opinion.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views