Rice Protein

Monna W.
on 10/23/07 9:45 am - Susanville, CA
Finally found two sites that sell Rice Protein powder. There is not as many grams of protein in a serving, but also not as many calories. So I can use two servings and get 24 grams of protein and only 110 calories plus the calories in the liquid I use. I can use soy milk or water. I plan to do the 5dpt next week or whenever I get the powder by mail. On an interesting note--do you know how many of those foods that we like to snack on have whey or other components of milk? I can't even eat an M&M (Milk chocolate) without getting diarrhea. I am reading labels so carefully for ingredients. I used just check out how many grams of sugar, but that is minor to me any more. It is getting worse and worse. I can't use butter or most margarines as they have whey or other components of milk. For a while I could get away with whey, but most whey has 4-6% lactose and it just is horrible for me. So far, I can get away with casein, but I am very careful. It wouldn't be so bad, but all the diarrhea isn't gettting rid of my extra 10 lbs. Talk to you later. Monna
Traci K.
on 10/23/07 8:54 pm - Sullivan, MO
I'm so sorry Monna! I can only imagine how tough this is for you!! Let us know how you do on the Rice protein.
IrishIze
on 10/23/07 10:38 pm - NJ
Yikes, not even one M&M????? Oh, Monna, I'm sorry your intolerance to dairy has gotten so bad. I'm sure you've tried the Lactaid pills - they don't help at all? My niece is lactose intolerant and she takes them and does very well. In fact, she seems to be able to tolerate more lactose even without the pills. I guess maybe you should start a list of can's and cannot's - that's what I did right after I had surgery and then had the ulcer. Let us know how the rice protein goes. Finding it must be a celebration for you - I can't imagine how hard it is to get in good amounts of protein without my drinks and bars. Hugs, Nancy
Monna W.
on 10/25/07 8:20 am - Susanville, CA
Yes, I have tried Lactaid. There is a milk (cow's) that is supposedly lactose free--still can tolerate because of the whey. On another board (not OH related, but food allergies) there are those who also cannot even tolerate casein. So far, I'm okay with that component of milk. Some days I have diarrhea and think I had done fine the day before. When I review things I had, and really look at the ingredients, I find there is some component of milk. I have ordered the rice protein. Hope I do well with it. I am planning to have PS in January and everyone on that board says to be sure to get lots of protein pre-and post-op. This is my only hope. There is a brand of soy protein powder that has no whey, but it is disgusting to me. I still prefer this to the living death I had before WLS. Love you all. You are so supportive. Monna
Traci K.
on 10/24/07 3:54 am - Sullivan, MO
You know - along these lines: there are some in the WLS 'camps', if you will; that tout absolutely no milk whatsoever after WLS. None. Nada. Zip. They are claiming it's because of the milk sugars and that converts to insulin which then gets stored as fat. A wee bit extreme - IMHO. I drink soy milk. I'm wondering though how many others who are like Monna and are lactose intolerant to the point that they can also not even tolerate the whey proteins? What can be done to prevent others from developing this problem as post-ops? This is a very serious issue - as we need this protein.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views