update on me/new procedure

deeno
on 5/22/07 5:03 am - Kokomo, IN
So, I went on a diet at the beginning of the year. I worked really, really hard, too. After 6 weeks of misery, I lost 4 pounds. I was devistated. I quit trying. It brought back so many bad memories of pre-WLS diet failures that I just couldn't handle it emotionally, and I decided that my choices were to accept my size (16/18) and try to maintain, or be miserable. I decided to be happy and move on, but still visited OH for support. On one visit, I learned about sclerotherapy, looked into it, and decided to go for it. From very early on, my surgeon and I have suspected that I have an enlargened stoma. I was easily able to eat more at 2 months out than my husband could eat at two years out. I joked that if there were a post WLS eating contest--any food--I'd win. I never learned how to use my tool; never made the new connection between stomach and brain; basically never had a chance. Now, I am thrilled that I lost 80 pounds, and still consider myself somewhat successful. I'm proud of this achievement, but I feel as if it were through malapsorption, not a significant change in dietary habit (other than the liquid/pureed food for the first 6 weeks or so--I followed this out of fear, not fullness). I've already had my sclerotherapy consult, and my procedure is scheduled for this week on 5/25. I can't wait. I am so hopeful that I will not gain any more weight from this point on, and perhaps even lose enough to drop a size in clothing and reach "normalcy". I feel like I've got a chance to use my tool as intended now, and lose my caboose once and for all. For those of you that don't know, sclerotherapy is a non-invasive procedure using a chemical to scar/shrink your stoma to keep food from slipping through so quickly, giving you that full feeling longer, and also reducing the amount of food that you can consume. Back to the basic pouch rules again to make this work--it's all up to me. I'm taking this very seriously, as this is honestly my last chance for acheiving my goal of being a size 14. So, I'm going for it! I'll post and let everyone know how I'm doing. I know I'm taking a risk, but it is a calculated one. I haven't gained much weight from my lowest weight, but I am afraid of that number climbing higher, and I want to "nip it in the bud" before it really gets out of control. I am capable of learing how to use my tool correctly, and I now feel that I will have the chance. For those of you who are wondering, my lowest weight was 196 (had MAJOR life stress with my mom, and could not eat; I'll spare the details, but things are better). My lowest maintainable weight was 203. I now weigh 215. I would like to see 185-190 on the scale, but wouldn't complain if it went lower than that. For my height, I should weigh around 170 I think, but I can't imagine being that thin--I think I would look sickly. I'll drop by next week with all the details. Thank you, July family, for all of your support. Deeno ***my baby is getting big! He's long and lean, blond haired cuite with blue eyes. 16 months old now, can you believe it?
(deactivated member)
on 5/22/07 11:29 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Diana, good luck with your surgery. I hope that it gives you the help you need without causing any complications. I can't wait to hear how it works out! Pamela
deeno
on 5/23/07 1:15 am - Kokomo, IN
Hi Pam! I feel like I'm your little stalker since I always look forward to reading your posts....both the ups and downs. They always make me feel like I'm not alone in my own struggle. Keep up the good work yourself, and keep posting! Deeno
IrishIze
on 5/22/07 10:50 pm - NJ
Deeno - I wish you all the best. I'm very interested in the procedure. How is it done, like an endoscopy? I hope it works out for you. I think we've all gotten to the point where we're struggling to keep the weight off. I know at this point I can eat anything and everything - so it's all a matter of will-power and determination....right back to where I started. I make sure I exercise six days a week - I have to do it - no excuses; hot, cold, rainy, sunny, sick or well. The minute I let up, I'm back to the 280 lb. Nancy. I've been doing the Weigh****chers plan and have not deviated from it for almost three weeks and I've lost 3 lbs. - and that's with the exercise. Not great or motivating in my book. It seems like it's harder to lose weight now than it ever was. Anyway, I can't wait to hear how you make out. Does insurance cover this and how did you go about getting approval? Give that little guy a big kiss for me!! He sounds adorable!! Hugs, Nancy
IrishIze
on 5/22/07 11:23 pm - NJ
Oops, sorry - one more question - is the sclerotherpay performed by a bariatric surgeon?
deeno
on 5/23/07 1:13 am - Kokomo, IN
Hi Nancy (good to chat with you again!) Dr. Randal Baker in Grand Rapids is a Bariatric Surgeon (check him out on the web). The procedure is done endoscopically, so no cutting or stitches. I'll be in "la la land" but not totally totally out, but I've heard I won't remember a thing. Pain factor is considered minimal, and recovery is quick (I chatted with a gal who had it last week, and she said all I'll need is a good nap and I'll be good to go). It can be covered by insurance, but not my insurance (WLS exclusion), so I'm paying out of pocket --quoted around $700-$800 for one procedure, but the procedure may need to be repeated--depends on what he sees when he looks down my throat. There's been a lot of chatting on the revisions forum if you're interested in taking a peek (a big post on page 2 with lots of interesting data). My original surgeon suspected stoma enlargenment for me when I was 6-8 months out, but the only thing she could do at the time was scope me and say "yep, it's big" or "nope, it's not"--but no resolution to the problem of being able to over eat at such an early stage, so I opted to not check at the time. I was one of the "slow losers", too, as I really didn't have nearly the restriction that I should have had. Maybe this is why. I hope it gives me a quick, cheap, and easy solution for me to find my way into a size 14 pair of jeans. Man, that would ROCK! I'll give all the gorey details next week when I get back into town after the holiday. I feel confident that things will go well for me. Here I go....on my way to onederland! Deeno
Irene S.
on 5/23/07 5:01 am - NJ
Hi Deeno! I'm sending every good vibe your way that this will be just the thing to help you! I would love to know how you're doing, and look forward to hearing about your experience with sclerotherapy. Stoma failure is something that we will be hearing about more now that there are so many people getting farther out from surgery and seeking solutions for regain. There is also a clinical trial being done by a bariatric surgeon to reduce stoma and pouch size using a folding and suture technique. At least NOW this is beginning to be recognized as something that needs to be treated. All the best! Irene
deeno
on 5/30/07 2:49 am - Kokomo, IN
Through my internet research I have noticed a "buzz" in this area, too. My sclero-doc said my pouch looked good, so I'm not worried about a pouch stretch. Read my above post on my experience for stoma details, but in a nutshell, it was enlargened. Thanks for the good thoughts, and I'll give another update in a few more weeks. Deeno
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views