Is anyone else struggling with a drinking problem?

Denise W.
on 2/14/07 10:59 pm - MD
I had WLS July 2004 and lost 99 lbs. Then I started drinking wine about a year ago and rapidly progressed to about a bottle a night with blackouts 2 or 3 times a week? I've gained 40 lbs back. My son showed me an article about addiction transference and how the physiology of RNY actually causes alcohol to give one a bigger and faster high. The stats were that 5 to 30 % of WLS patients become alcoholics. So far I am sober for three days and going through detox big time. If I have to have an addiction I am going to make it exercise Also, I am a Reiki practitioner (this is a form of Japanese energy therapy) and will use that as well. Am I the only one from our group going through this?
ileanak
on 2/15/07 8:43 pm - San Antonio, TX
Good morning Denise, I am so sorry. I can't say that I turned to alcohol, but recently I am having problems with food choices. I stabalized for a year, and then last summer I started a Master's program, began looking for a house and began dating someone new. Now, all those things are terrific (I am currently building a house) but together, they are a tremendous stress. I have been making not-so-good food choices and I am about 12lbs from my lowest weight. So I feel the frustration. I still don't tolerate alcohol well (especially wine with all its sugar), so I noticed that I get drunk way too quickly. I also started running with a Hash House Harriers group last August (they are a fox and hound trail group).... the jogging around town is great but they all get together and drink when it is done... I did notice that I was drinking way too much for a whlie, so now I stilck to water with a lime in it if we all go to a bar aftwerwards. I too was scared to tranfer my food addiction to another type. Stay sober, and keep your chin up!!! Have you tried cycling? I am doing that too, and it is a great way to get some fresh air (when weather permits) and exercise. Ileana
Denise W.
on 2/15/07 11:34 pm - MD
Thanks for the kind word Illeana! I realize that my alcohol problem is a DIRECT result of the physiological changes of having my innards rewired. My concern is that many WLS patients may be going through what I did and not be aware of the connections that experts are noticing between WLS and alcoholism. Here is a link to a web site with lots of info on the subject. http://www.wlscenter.com/ResearchArticles/Intro.htm
MargaretD
on 3/5/07 4:49 am - Nashville, TN
I have found myself binge drinking on the weekends like I am in college or something. I have blackouts too and I find it terribly frustrating. Even though, I get drunk very quickly off very little wine/beer I find that I will continue to drink. Anyway, after a very painful hangover this past saturday, I am planning a non-drinking weekend coming up! I plan to visit the website you mentioned.
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/07 8:10 pm - fort worth, TX
i've notice that i like drinking wine coolers now,, and i also like cigrettes when i use to not like either.. i to have gain abt 30 pounds, and very upset abt it... i heard someone mention revisioning,, have u heard anything abt it,,, '' if its the surgery again,, i'll do it ,,if my insurance will cover it,, and if they dont i'll change insurance companies and oct,,so i can have it done again
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views