Pain Meds - What do you take?

IrishIze
on 1/10/07 2:31 am - NJ
Although I am aging gracefully , I have been having some arthritic back and hand pain. When I went to the doctor, he prescribed Tylenol with codeine, but sometimes when I take that I can't sleep. I also have a tendency to clench my teeth, and sometimes have jaw or tooth pain. For that kind of pain and everyday aches and pains, I have taken extra strength Tylenol, but sometimes that doesn't do a thing. Lately, I have taken children's Ibuprofen in the liquid form, followed by a whole glass of water (since I know it's hard on the stomach which is why most of us have been FORBIDDEN to take it). I'm just curious what people take and if anyone has any suggestions.... Hugs, Nancy
Monna W.
on 1/11/07 8:00 am - Susanville, CA
Nancy, With all my health issues I have been very limited on what I am able to take for pain. Before my heart surgery I used Vicodin--I don't do codeine very well--but I took only 1/2 a tablet at a time. After heart surgery, I was given Tramadol which has worked very well. I don't know if it would be appropriate for arthritic pain or not. Be sure to stay away from NSAIDs except for Tylenol because they can be hard on our pouches. Good luck finding something that works for you. Monna
Irene S.
on 1/11/07 12:18 pm - NJ
Hi Nancy, I use Advil Liqui-gels. I don't have chronic pain that I need to medicate. Just the occassional ache, pain or headache. Irene
sradcli74
on 1/12/07 1:26 am
Hi Nancy, I remember my surgeon saying that Tylenol was the only safe pain medication, because the others are not good for the pouch. I hope you feel better. Teah
AngelFlyingHappy
on 1/12/07 1:45 am - Oxnard, CA
Nancy: Hi ya babe! I'd check with your doctor. There are docs who say an occasional nsaid is okay. Some are on Celebrex and other anti-inflammatory medications even after surgery on a regular basis. As with everything else, it seems its a surgeon by surgeon sort of thing. Which to me is all screwy but seems to be the case anyway. Let me know if you get any good information!
IrishIze
on 1/12/07 1:57 am - NJ
Michelle - I love your new avatar picture - you sexy thing!!! N.
AngelFlyingHappy
on 1/12/07 6:33 am - Oxnard, CA
Why thank ya, right back atcha sweets!!!!
wlwav
on 2/1/07 10:04 am - Pine Hill, NJ
Hi All...I just need to ask a question...what is Nsaids?? And for pain I usually take Extra Strength Tylenol. Thanks Linda
IrishIze
on 2/1/07 8:32 pm - NJ
Hi Linda, NSAIDS are Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs. Over the counter would be Motrin or Advil, then you can get into the prescription types such as Torodol and Indocin. Tylenol is not a NSAID. Hugs, Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views