Protein Drink Survey

sradcli74
on 1/7/07 11:20 pm
Hi Everyone, I was thinking of adding protein drinks back to my diet. Its been a while since i purchased any, so I'm wondering if there are any new products/tastes and what others are using. I prefer the ready to drink, I was using a protein smoothie from the Vitamin Shoppe. I don't remember the brand, but each can had 35 grams of protein and extra calcium. They weren't bad, but not the best either, I used to get a case of 12 for about $25.00. Thanks, Teah
IrishIze
on 1/8/07 12:28 am - NJ
Hi Teah, Lately I've been using the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control ready to drink shakes. They come in 11 oz. boxes and are 100 calories and 15 g of protein, 4 carbs (1 Impact carb) in each. Flavors are Chocolate Fudge, Strawberry Creme and French Vanilla. You can get them at WalMart in 4 packs, but I get them in BJs Wholesale Club in the 24 pack. I like the taste - the Chocolate Fudge is my favorite - the vanilla my least favorite. They're great for getting in some protein with not too many calories! Hugs, Nancy
sradcli74
on 1/8/07 11:18 pm
Hi Nancy, I took your advice and got the EAS shakes. I brought the strawberry Cream. It is very good and will add a boost to my protein without the extra calories. I also looked into some other shakes all were either 190-200+ calories. I think I do pretty well getting my protein in, I just needed a litte boost, so this works well, thanks for the suggestion. Teah
Irene S.
on 1/8/07 11:45 pm - NJ
I know you asked specifically about protein drinks, but I thought I'd mention that I use protein bars as a meal replacement. I find that having something to eat holds me and satisifies better than drinking a shake, although I have used shakes. I also find that the monotony of protein bars (and sometimes shakes, too!) can be good for turning off the food attraction that I can get trapped in. I have my own 'rule of thumb formula' that I use to choose bars since they come in all sizes, with different protein amounts. Since protein bars also contain fats, carbs and sugars along with the protein, I try to buy bars that come as *close* as possible to having 10 calories for every gram of protein. Helps to "level the playing field" when trying to compare bars. HTH! Irene
sradcli74
on 1/9/07 2:23 am
Hi Irene, Thanks for the advice. I think I can stomach the drinks a little better than the bars. The best bars I found are Luna bars, the have great flavors and to me they are not as chewy and gross as the other protein bars. Have you tried the special k protein bars? I wonder how they taste. Teah
Irene S.
on 1/9/07 3:30 am - NJ
No, I haven't tried the Special K or Luna bars. I do understand about the "gross" factor, though. I especially like the taste of the Kashi Go Lean Chocolate Turtle Roll. But I treat it like a healthy candy bar and try to limit them because I get carried away with the taste! I would say that as a staple, I tend to use the Pure Protein bars and Snicker's Marathon Protein Bars. Let me know how you like the Special K bars if you try them. Irene
AngelFlyingHappy
on 1/9/07 6:02 am - Oxnard, CA
The Special K Bars are excellent!! I like them a lot!! They taste real to me.
IrishIze
on 1/10/07 2:17 am - NJ
I just checked out the Special K bars, they have a Protein bar line - there's a snack bar - 110 calories, 12g sugar and 4 protein, then the meal replacement bar: 190 calories, 16g sugar and 10 protein. For me, they're a little too high in saturated fat and sugar and not enough protein punch for the calories. Lately I've been eating the Atkins Caramel Fudge Brownie bars. I think they're delicious and they're 160 calories, 1g sugar, 17g protein and NO sugar alcohols (sugar alcohols give me BAD gas...yuck! ). I get them in BJ's Wholesale Club for a pretty good price. They're good when I'm looking for something sweet - really satisfies that craving and I don't feel guilty. Irene - I love the Ka****urtle bars too, but the last time I had one I nearly lost a cap...no more for me!! Hugs, N.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views