How much can you eat?

AngelFlyingHappy
on 9/7/06 7:44 am - Oxnard, CA
I don't know about everyone else, but it seems like I can eat more than I thought I would be able too. All my doctor told me was that I would eat "child's size portions" for the rest of my life. I am curious as to what other doctors have told their patients and what you are able to eat. For instance if I didn't stop myself, I can eat a whole sandwich or a six inch sub. That seems like a huge amount to me. Grant you I'm staying away from bread right now, but still just scares me. How about you? ***And if you are a lurker and don't like something you read, please do not post something mean as we do not need any negativity here. Thank you. Hugs to all! Michelle
Irene S.
on 9/7/06 8:04 am - NJ
The amount I can eat varies quite a bit. The texture of the food as well as what I've eaten previously play a role. If I eat nothing all day, the first thing I eat is likely to cause a problem and I'll end up eating very little. The most solid protein I've been able to eat since surgery at ONE SITTING is a tuna steak that comes in those envelopes, - bumblebee? starkist? - which is 4 oz, I think. But that will be ALL I eat when I eat that because its very dense solid protein. If it's a watery stew, I can eat a corningware bowl full. If it's a thick chili - perhaps 1/2 cup. I don't eat sandwiches except on rare occassions and then it'd be perhaps 1/2. Sometimes even less. A small salad with some chicken. I just went out to lunch yesterday to a restaurant with my boss and had a couple of tiny olives, a taste of bread with salsa, 1/2 skewer of ground lamb - perhaps, it was 2oz of meat, and some grilled mushrooms - *maybe* 1/4 cup worth.
AngelFlyingHappy
on 9/7/06 9:59 am - Oxnard, CA
Thank you so much for your reply. I guess it depends on the type of RNY we had as well. Even though I can eat that much, I really still try to measure to keep myself from over doing it. Thanks for your resonse again!
Irene S.
on 9/7/06 11:13 am - NJ
Interestingly Michelle, different surgeons make different size and different shaped pouches. My surgeon makes a pouch in a tubular shape. The size and shape of a pouch is not an indicator of how much weight one will lose post-op. Statistically, it's more important to eat to satiety, eat the right foods - focusing on protein frst, follow the rules of the pouch, avoid grazing, etc. One thing that can help or hinder our ability to follow the rules is stoma failure. If the stoma (outlet) stretches too much, food empties too quickly leaving us hungry before it's time for our next meal. Patients with stoma failure will gain back a significant amount of their weight. Just some rambling thoughts. Irene
on my W.
on 9/7/06 9:24 am - Canada
Hi there, I am with you Michelle. I can eat that amount too but it varies from week to week. so weeks I can eat a great deal and then I go through a cycle or time when I put in 2 sips of diet pepsi and nothing will go down....it is as if once I am on a liquid only diet my pouch shrinks right down and has to get back up to size...if I let it...sometimes I can eat a great deal and that scares me.......I did see 157 again today so only 8 to go to goal but it is so easy to put on and hard to drop those last few pounds.....it is like I have to eat like a bird which makes me wonder if I will be able to maintain my 140 something goal???? Hugs to all, Karen 299 - 157- 149
Deejay
on 9/7/06 10:18 am - Sparks, NV
Hi Michelle! To answer your question, I can't eat that much. I can eat about 1/2 - 3/4 of a lean cuisine at most in one sitting. If I drag out the meal and wait 15 minutes after I ate all I can, I would be able to get in the last 1/4 of it. There would definitely be no way I could eat a 6" sub in one sitting though I know that. Maybe half of one at most in a sitting. Its weird how much our surgeries can all vary so widely. Hope everyone is doing well, I started back to work full time and that with 5yr old triplets in Kindergarten and finding time to go to the gym, I have no time here. : ' ( Hugs, Deejay 262/145
IrishIze
on 9/7/06 11:49 am - NJ
I can eat a lot of certain things, but it all depends on the density of the food. There are certain foods that I can tell just by the look or the smell that will make me sick for hours: for example, canned tuna by itself, chicken or turkey that's a bit dry, or Chinese rice. I can eat a large salad, but I've been told that's because it compresses well. I have to say that a lot of times I stop eating because I think I should, not because I'm full. I don't eat bread - haven't had a sandwich since surgery, but I've eaten toast and if it's toasted really well I can get in almost a whole piece, if it's underdone, I won't get in much at all. I have eaten a whole bagel - took me about an hour but I ate it. I know that wasn't wise, but it was only once since my surgery. I wish I couldn't eat as much as I can. I also wish I could conquer the desire to turn to eating when I'm happy or sad or stressed..... Great topic Michelle!!! Hugs, Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/06 9:57 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Another vote for "it depends." Most of my portions are "normal adult" portions. I eat until I feel full, and USUALLY, I will actually stop. There are times when I throw some of the food away, and others when I go back for more. As the day progresses, I can eat more with each meal. I look at overall calories to determine if I've had too much for the day...once I hit a certain number, I stop...even if I ate most of the calories before dinner. Of course, if I could stop at that magic number all the time (1200-1300), I'd be a lot thinner. Pamela
Traci K.
on 9/14/06 10:26 pm - Sullivan, MO
It depends on the day and the density of the food. I too have days where I'm surprised at how much I can eat before I feel satisfied/full. Other days, I'm surprised at how little. I have not been tracking my food for a few months now, so I have no clue how many calories I'm eating. I don't measure anything - I just eat until I'm satsified and then I'm done. I do quite often throw away food and can never eat all of any servings I get at a restaurant. I think for the most part, I can eat "normal" adult portions - you know, the serving portions actually recommended. ;)
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views