Complication!!!

Janette
on 8/7/06 11:59 am - Peoria, AZ
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a fistula. My story is long but I will try and shorten it. RNY 7-04, gallbladder out 11-04. Did well for 1 1/2 yrs, my wt stablized for 6 months and had plastic surg on May 24th. Its been mostly downhill since. Had infections 1st of thigh and bladder, cleared up and back to work 2 days than hospitalized r/t 104 fever and abcesses in arm and pneumonia. Needless to say LOTS of different antibiotics during that time. Also developed continous nausea and lost additional lbs. Lots of tests, blood work etc and have espohageal spasms, "significant reflux" even though on protonix for 8 plus months. Had an EGD (scope) last week and GI DR said normal but I looked at pics and knew 2 holes in the pouch was not. Took all reports, xrays etc to orginal gastic bypass Dr and he scoped me today himeself re" ulcer and fistula. I am continuing with phenergan, now on carafate liquid 4xs a day and protonix dose doubled. He said 50/50 this will help or he is going to have to do surgery and revise, not revsion of orginal surg. Scared you bet I am. Wanting to know if anyone has had a fistula and did it, could it heal on its own. Thanks Janette RNY 7-13-04 363/ 120 barely holding 5-24-06 abdominoplasty, thigh lift and brachioplasty
Deejay
on 8/8/06 12:54 am - Sparks, NV
wow Janette, I'm so sorry to hear of all these complications! I don't have any advice or experience on these issues, I just wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery and hopefully no more surgeries. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Big hugs, Deejay
IrishIze
on 8/8/06 9:54 am - NJ
Janette - I'm so sorry to hear that you're having problems. About a month after my surgery, I got so I couldn't keep anything down. I felt sick and nauseous all the time. Long story short, it ended up I had an ulcer and a stricture. I had to have a line put in my arm and feed myself via these injection things...it was pretty awful. I was also put on Protonix and stayed on it until last month. I'm now taking Prilosec because my insurance wouldn't pay for the Protonix any longer. I feel fine now, hopefully it won't ever come back. What exacty is a fistula? Please know that you are in my prayers and I'm thinking positive thoughts that this clears itself up with just meds and you don't have to go through another surgery. Please let us know how you're doing... Hugs, Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views