Plastic Surgery Problems

Janette
on 7/22/06 1:53 pm - Peoria, AZ
Still out of work Original Post by Janette S. at 8:39 PM PST on 07/22/2006 Peoria, AZ - RNY (07/13/2004) - Steven C. Simon, M.D. I has PS on May 24 and still not released back to work. Its hard for me to talk about complications esp for people to read who are pre op PS but I had them and even though I would still have PS again right now I am feeling frustrated. I had a brachioplasty, tummy tuck and thigh lift. I was on IV antibiotics in the hospital preop and post op as I stayed 2 nights than came home on Keflex. About 1 wk after I finished the Keflex I developed fever, felt like a bladder infection( had a catheter in the hosp) and it cultured out strep. 2 days after I started levaquin for that I developed staff infection and cellulitis in my right thigh and the Dr added clindamycin for 1 week and than added another week. I also developed open areas in both thighs I was packing. I finally felt better and went back to work June 29 and 30th (Thur and Fri) which was longer than the 3 weeks I was planning on being out and by Sun. night was running 104 fever and by the next AM my Lt arm was red. Called PS and he started me on Augmentin and 2 days later the entire arm was red and swollen and I was put in the hospital and given IV antibiotics of clindamycin, unasyn and vancomycin after Cat scan showed a large abscess. The next day the PS came in and opened up my Lt arm incision right at the bedside(OUCH) and drained not 1 but 3 abscesses.Chest xray also showed interstitial pneumonia. I was than sent home on augmentin. I no longer have fevers or any open areas but have a continous headach( probably only had 3 headaches my entire life if even) dizzy, nauseated( put on low dose phenergan which helps) still losing wt which had stablized for 6 months prior to PS, and low B/P. At the Dr last week it was 70/44. All my blood work is normal inc. blood cultures , lung scan and chest xray good . Dr just did sinus xrays and wants to schedule me for more CT scans and scope my "pouch for an ulcer". Anyone ever experience anything like this where everything is normal as far as tests but still have abnormal symptoms. I know I wrote alot and rambled but I again am frustrated and looking for answers. Thanks Janette RNY 7-13-04 363/123( 134 pre PS and PS said only took off @ 3-4 lbs skin) - 240 lbs
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/06 1:03 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I'm sorry to hear that you have had so many problems. Hopefully you will soon be feeling normal again and enjoy that tiny new body of yours. 123...HOLY COW! I can't imagine what it would be like to reach 199, let alone anything below 150. Hang in there! Pamela 352/218/150
IrishIze
on 7/23/06 1:43 am - NJ
Oh Janette, I'm so sorry you're having such problems! I haven't had PS, but I did have some complications post-WLS. I know how frustrating and scary it can be, but it sounds like you're starting to improve, so let's hope the worst is behind you. I'm going to be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and sending lots of positive, healing thoughts for your speedy recovery. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.... Hugs, Nancy
Irene S.
on 7/23/06 9:28 am - NJ
Hi Janette, I'm sorry that you've had such a rough time. I have never had the problems with surgery that you have so I'm unable to help with your questions. Maybe it's taking your body a while to come back to feeling normal? What does the doctor(s) say? I'll keep you in my prayers and send lots of good vibes your way that the worst is passed and that you'll soon be feeling better than ever. Irene P.S. Just a thought and probably not your situation, but since you are continuing to lose weight, could it possibly be that your headache is from not eating enough? I know when I don't eat enough cals I get headaches and feel weak and dizzy.
Janette
on 7/23/06 9:46 am - Peoria, AZ
Thanks for your response Irene! I was eating good prior to PS and my wt had stablized for 6 months. After the surgery of course I didnt eat great esp with the tummy so swollen and pushing on my pouch. I started eating good again until infections started. i am now on phenergan for nausea and am doing ok with it and I am getting enough calories and nutrition even with the nausea though it is better but the headache is real bad. The part I did not mention in my main post was in June I blacked out and that was when the headache started and it is there continous. The Dr also recently had me start wearing support hose because my B/P in his office last week was 70/44 and i self check my B/P now and it is much better. Mostly now nausea, headache and some dizziness. I just hope they figure it out soon because I was self pay for the PS (@ $25,000) and now I am on short term disability at work and only getting 605 of my pay. I am a single mom who has my 25 y/o disabled daughter(blind, cerebral palsy, mentally reatrded and epilepsy) home with me and will always be but the extra cost of a caregiver to help me with her was also something not planned on. Now as the saying goes " I need some cheese with my whine" which cheese is at least protein. Hey at least i keep my sense of humor. Take care. Janette
Irene S.
on 7/24/06 12:14 pm - NJ
Oh dear, you have been going through so much! I started to answer this morning and got busy at work and couldn't finish. Have you been evaluated neurologically or orthopedically? When you blacked out, did you fall or hit anything that could have injured your head or neck? That could also account for symptoms. Have you tried a chiropractor? They can be very helpful with headaches caused by pinched nerves and kinks in the spine and neck. Just a thought, since you can trace many of your symptoms to that single event. I hope you feel better soon. I'll keep the positive thoughts coming. Irene
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1178 views