Emotional Eating

Mary M.
on 6/22/06 12:33 am - Neverland, CA
How to Avoid Emotional Eating by Heidi Reichenberger McIndoo, MS RD LDN for iVillage It's one thing to choose healthier meals and snacks but controlling what goes in your mouth when you're stressed, upset, or just plain bored is a whole other story. You need to have strategies in place to get by during those moments of weakness. Here are three tips on how to avoid emotional overeating. Plan Ahead: In that moment of weakness or boredom, there's nothing easier than grabbing the Chunky Monkey from the freezer and chowing down. But what if indulgences like that aren't in the freezer, the fridge, or the pantry? Stock your kitchen with fruits, veggies, pudding cups, frozen fruit bars, popcorn, and yogurt. Be sure to wash and cut up the produce when you get it home -- when you are in a munching mood, who wants to deal with peeling and cutting up a mango? Allow Treats: There's nothing wrong with an occasional treat. In fact they often make eating healthy most of the time a little easier. Whether it's a small bag of chips during your favorite TV show or an ice cream cone on a warm Saturday afternoon, giving yourself permission to eat it eliminates the need for secret binge sessions and the guilt felt after splurging on a favorite food. Keep Active During TV Time: Keeping your hands and head occupied can keep you from the television haze-induced noshing. There's always knitting or crossword puzzles but what about holding onto the mail or a new magazine until you sit down for the evening. Need to write any thank-you notes or pay any bills? It doesn't matter what it is, just keep busy.
IrishIze
on 6/22/06 5:04 am - NJ
Thanks Mare for those productive suggestions!! Since my surgery, I haven't eaten much fruit because most of them are so high in carbs, but someone told me that they don't count the carbs in fruits and vegetables, so I just may incorporate more into my diet. I've started doing crosswords when I'm watching TV and I also bought a handheld Yahtzee game - it's great for commercial time when my normal impulse is to go root around in the closet! Hugs, Nancy
jewelcrown
on 6/22/06 10:28 pm
Hey Mary! This one has my name on it. It think Irene could have written this one. I think she advised of something similar not too long along. Thanks for sharing these great pearls of success. The "More to Lose" support group carries on! Have a great day!! Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views