Does Weighing Every Day Keep Pounds Away?

Mary M.
on 6/6/06 11:54 pm - Neverland, CA
Since my Surgery I weigh my self daily (once in the morning) I found this has kept me in check. Does Weighing Every Day Keep Pounds Away? Get a better read on your progress. by Selene Yeager The news: Daily weighing speeds loss When University of Minnesota researchers monitored the scale habits of 1,800 dieting adults, they found that those who weighed themselves daily lost an average of 12 pounds over 2 years; weekly scale watchers lost only 6. The once-a-day group also was less likely to regain lost weight. But respected programs such as Weigh****chers--and Prevention experts--caution against daily weighing Scale obsession has been linked to eating disorders, and some experts argue that the distress and discouragement brought on by a daily weight check could cause people to go off their diet; however, there's been no research to prove this. Bottom line: Try it if you're healthy and motivated By serving as a regular reminder of weight loss goals and allowing dieters to nip weight gains in the bud, daily weighing may help. But the practice may not be the reason the study subjects lost more, says Prevention weight loss advisor Kelly Brownell, PhD. "This may just prove that people who are doing well like the feedback, so naturally they weigh themselves more often than those who are struggling." If you do a daily check-in, be sure to also log your results in a journal to track your long-term progress. And don't weigh yourself daily if you have a history of an eating disorder. Mary 415/160 We write our own destiny; we become what we do. ~ Madame Chiang Kai-Shek
jewelcrown
on 6/8/06 3:54 am
Hey Mary.... Thanks for validating what I thought was a BAD HABIT!!! I'm addicted to my Tanita scale. Once in the morning and once at night. AND... I don't get off and on again!!! Have a great day!!! Denise
(deactivated member)
on 6/8/06 7:52 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I have often read that those people on the National Weight Control Registry weigh in daily. They've said that it's so much easier to make minor adjustments when you first see your weight go up than do a major overhaul each week (or more). I weigh daily...but I don't always like what I see! Cheers! Pamela
MikeB
on 6/8/06 10:19 pm - Pottstown, PA
I decided along time ago that I wasn't going to be a slave to the scale If daily weigh ins work for the reaserchers then so be it. I weigh myself every 4-6 weeks wether I need it or not. My weight has not moved in 6 months. I think to many people get hung up on that number and drive themselves crazy about making it go up or down. Bottom line is If you are eating the way you are suppose to and exercising, you shouldn't need to worry about that daily number. I know it's cool to get on the scale and see a loss. WHen I weighed in once a month my losses that I saw were never lee than 10 lbs. To tell you the truth that excited me alot more than a 1 or 2 lb loss. But there are those that need that. That's just My opinion though. Mike Borders Start weight 534 7/6/2004 Current weight 231 Total Loss 303lbs
freeafter3
on 6/20/06 4:10 pm - Lower, AL
Hi, Mary: I weigh daily, too. In my experience, though, those who are still in the losing process may become frustrated by what the scales read; they, perhaps, should weigh only weekly or monthly. If they follow a plan, they're almost assured a weight loss, assuming, of course, they stick to the plan. The scales, in other words, don't dictate the success of the plan. I, however, am trying to maintain a weight, not measure my success in following a "plan." I have a set weight--190 lbs.--and when I hit it, I make necessary adjustments to my diet. It's always easier to take of the recent pounds than those that have been with you for awhile. Good luck! John
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views