No one recognized me!

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/06 9:42 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
On Sunday, my husband's family had a family reunion. I've met his many relatives numerous times over the last 8 years. Still, no one knew who I was! Well, his important aunts and uncles knew, of course. They're the ones who see me much more regularly. But the family from out of town...NOPE! One of my husband's uncles proceeded to introduce his entire family to me...as if he hadn't been to my wedding reception. One of Alan's aunts took him aside and asked if I was his wife. When he told her yes, she asked if I was the same wife from before. ANOTHER aunt asked my father-in-law who I was. Back in the old days, I was SOOOO excited for people not to recognize me. I wanted to look so different that it blew everyone away. Of course, the only person up until this weekend to have to look twice at me was my brother-in-law, who's been in Germany since right before my surgery. But it's really weird...I felt extremely out of place instead of a shocking beauty. It's almost like these people wouldn't have known me no matter what I looked like. Alan says it's just because I've lost so much weight, but it makes me feel funny inside. I WANTED to be unrecognizable...but now it makes me feel kind of stupid. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm a nutcase. Just thought I'd share a "wow" moment that wasn't so much "wow" as scary. Pamela -134
jewelcrown
on 5/16/06 2:57 am
This doesn't happen to me too often.... I know I would love it, though! Just more reinforcement of how proud we should be of our accomplishments to date.... Have a great day! Denise
Irene S.
on 5/16/06 12:58 pm - NJ
Yup it is weird. I can definitely relate. But I got used to it. I love going up to ppl I haven't seen in a long time and tell them to stop pretending they don't know me... If it's someone that I don't like it's especially handy... I just don't say anything... But here's a weird one, even for me... My son is in HS marching band, and i went to the competition last fall. It was a very cold night and I decided to wear my brand new black leather jacket with fur trim hood. Since it was so windy, I put the hood up to keep the wind off my ears. As I was walking around that night I spotted my SON and went over to him stood in front of him and looked him straight in the eyes. His were blank. NO recognition. I wasn't until I spoke to him that he realized it was me... That was totally weird! Spooky. Like the kid got instant alzheimers... Nope - u r not a nutcase. it's very unnerving to some people when this happens. Yes you HAVE lost a lot of weight. Trust me- you'll get used to it and perhaps like me you'll even have fun with it... Irene
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views