5 days post op-what a journey..

pbrooky1
on 6/23/08 9:55 am - Horseheads, NY
Hhmmm, I had the same surgery, but a little different experience. I also had a lap RNY on Thursday the 19th. I pretty much slept the rest of the day. I did get up and walk and after I sat down, I vomited up some brown stuff (pretty gross). I was allowed to have ice chips immediately following surgery and for the following day. I got naseous on Friday morning after walking, but managed not to get sick. I didn't get my leak test until Saturday morning and didn't get the results until 1:30 in the afternoon. Nothing but ice chips for 2 days, but I wasn't feeling hungry at all! Once I got the OK, I was given a little broth and SF jello. I was feeling much better by Saturday and was up walking frequently. Dinner on Saturday, breakfast and lunch on Sunday before I went home all consisted of broth, skim milk, SF jello, 4 oz juice and decaf coffee or tea. Needless to say, I didn't eat all of it, but I did drink the whole 4 oz of milk each meal along with some broth and a sip or two of juice. Today was my first whole day home. I really didn't have any issue with gas pains, I did pass some gas and I had some diarrhea, but they passed by Sunday. My instructions tell me to have 1 - 2 oz of liquid every 15 minutes and to try to get in 4 - 8 cups of liquid but to make 2-3 cups milk and only 1/2 cup from juice. Drink lots of water too. I find I am not having any problem getting this in. That worries me a little. I'm also feeling like I am going to be extremely tired of milk and broth by the end of two weeks! For the most part, I still don't feel hungry, but I also don't feel over full after drinking either. My highest weight after surgery was 9 lbs above my weight the morning of surgery (Saturday morning). As of this morning, I am down 12.2 lbs from that weight or 3 lbs down from pre-surgery weight. Today is day 5 post op. I am feeling concerns over how much of a lifestlye change this is. You really don't realize how much your life revolves around food until you can't have it anymore. My children are grown so it's just hubby and me and we ate out frequently and a lot of events we attended revolved around food. I know that eventually this won't be as much of an issue, but it feels like an eternity away right now. Because I do not have as much to lose as most (my BMI is 35) I will probably lose slower. I'm not sure what to expect for my losses. But, it's got to be better than anything else I have done in the past when I would be lucky to average 1 lb a week. I was totally ready for this and had no second thoughts at all. I'm looking forward to the new me and hopefully hubby can hang in there in the mean time. He's being pretty supportive so far....
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/08 12:26 pm
I had my surgery 2 days before you with a pretty similar hospital experience. I was SO thirsty by the time I had the barium test that I sucked the barium down with a straw a little too fast and made myself ill...that was fun ;) Other than that, smooth sailing! I hope you are still doing well! Even 3 days in ICU and some minor complications, I have no regrets either! Tara
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 821 views
Canadian Surgens?
Balla · 0 replies · 807 views