5 days post op-what a journey..

ritame
on 6/15/08 8:42 am
Well guys, my time has come and gone now. I had surgery ( lap RNY) on Tuesday. I came home from the hospital on Thursday and it's been an adventure! Since most people on here wonder what it's like right after surgery I'll just go ahead and be honest. Not to discourage anyone but just to give you an idea of things to expect realistically!!!! Okay, So after surgery I had nothing to eat or drink for 24 hours. Then they do a barium swallow test to check for leaks. Since I checked out ok, I was allowed a sugar free popsicle. Keep in mind that I hadn't had anything to drink for 24 hours after surgery. I swear I thought my mouth was going to grow closed it was so dry. The popsicle was alright. I ate a little less than half of it and felt like I had ate Thanksgiving dinner! After that, I was allowed water,broth,and sugar free Jello. All of which, I could only have a few bites or sips of before filling extremely full. For example, I can only tolerate 2-3 oz at a time. I was encouraged to walk while in the hospital to avoid blood clots and help with gas pain. Another thing that most people fell to mention, GAS PAIN! omg, it was really intense and painful. I walked and walked, I was given the nickname "champion walker" by my surgeon because thats about all I did trying to rid myself of this gas pain. I would strongly advise anyone who experiences this to not strain, it only makes it worse.. and you more sore. I started passing the gas at the end of day 2 post op along with diahrea which is a common side effect of the surgery. I'm still having problems with both. The more you get up and move around helps. So now I'm home from the hospital. No more nurses and doctors telling you what to do, Hmmm... Kinda tricky, this is where your self control kicks in. Something you haven't had in a while. Only you have absolutely no choice left but to control yourself. This is about when the emotions kicked in high gear for me. My body has been transformed into something new, my mind is still the same. My mind is wondering why we aren't eating. My body is saying no more, no more after a few sips. Another thing I hadn't completely prepared myself for. However, I must say that even if someone said I would have to eat a cheeseburger to save my life, I couldn't. The smell of food makes me EXTREMELY nauseated. Which is a good thing, it makes food repulsive right now! which is easier lol. OKay to sum it up, I have been in alot of pain and wondered, "Did I make the right choice?" But I honestly have no regrets this far. I am thankful that I had the courage to take control of my life again. Instead of being controlled by food. The first few days after surgery be prepared for emotional and physical changes to happen, but don't give up, things get better with each day. Rita hugs to all!!!
SAM73
on 6/15/08 2:56 pm - Hanford, CA
Thank you for your absolute honesty. I am scheduled for RNY gastric bypass this Wednesday and I really appreciate your detailed account of what you went through. Good luck with your jouney! Sam
RICK W.
on 6/16/08 5:54 am - PINSON, AL
That sounded pretty painfull... I am 7 days out with the band and it was a little bit of the same but nowhere near your extreme sounding story. You will prob. lose weight faster than me but then again I didnt get fat in a month or two either. Best of luck to you...
psst567
on 6/16/08 5:14 am - Elizabethtown, KY
Hi Rita, Thank you so much for the detailed journey, its nice to get somewhat of an idea of what to expect, I'm scheduled for Mon, June 23rd. I hope you don't mind but I would like to add you to my friends list. I would love to see and hear how your doing. Good Luck! Angie
Marilyn B.
on 6/16/08 11:03 am - Bella Vista, AR
Rita, First, what is the difference between an RNY and a lap RNY? It sounds like you are going through what a lot of people have. I honestly believe that if we take the time to think to much about losing our relationship with food, we might not go through with WLS. I don't think I have to say, you can do it, because you are doing it. And you're right. You have to take it day by day. Congratulations! I had my wake up call the weekend before my 2 wks pre-op (1 week into it). I cried and cried, really scared. I realized that I was treating food like an alchoholic treats alchohol. I was really surprised that I just did one whole week with only liquids. Yesterday and today have been a challenge. I will make it though. I have surgery on the 25th and I really appreciated the info. Marilyn
Lily D.
on 6/16/08 12:13 pm - San Luis, CO
thank you for your enlightenment. My lap band surgery is scheduled for July 17th and I can hardly wait. I look forward to reading more about your experiences and hope to share mine with you! keep up the good work!
jnaturalcutie
on 6/16/08 1:00 pm - Euclid, OH
I am scheduled for lap RNY on June 24th I do appreciate your experience in detail!! That is the info I needed to hear, details.
jnaturalcutie
on 6/16/08 1:00 pm - Euclid, OH
I am scheduled for lap RNY on June 24th I do appreciate your experience in detail!! That is the info I needed to hear, details.
hookane62
on 6/17/08 4:20 am - HI
Aloha Rita, I will have my Lap-Ryn on Monday Jun 23, and I appreciate so much your clear and precise discription of your experience. You have helped me to see that many people go through this enormous life changing period, feeling the same as I do right now. I 'm thinking the exact same things ! Is this the right decision; why can't I continue to diet like I'm doing right now and avoid the surgery; what if I never recover from feeling ill concerning food, hernia, etc. etc. Okay I need to stop and get it together. You're a brave woman and I congratulate you on taking control of your like again . Congratulation Again Cheryl
Jonesy_cat
on 6/18/08 6:41 am - Monmouth, OR
I also got out of the hospital last Thursday. Our experiences sound much the same, however, I had an open RNY instead of the Lap RNY. In answer to someone's question, it is the same procedure internally, but the access to the stomach differs. Lap stands for laporoscopic. 6 (?) holes are put into the abdomen, and instruments are inserted into the holes to perform the RNY. For the open RNY, one long incision is made from the breastbone to the belly button to access the stomach for the RNY procedure. It seems that people that have the Lap RNY have more difficulty with gas from the surgery because the abdomen in "inflated" to allow more room for the surgeon to manuever. There is less risk of hernia and infection with the Lap than the Open precedure, though. I have also had thoughts of, "I volunteered for this?" and, "What have I done?" However, I just got back from my first post-op appointment. I've lost 7 pounds post-op. That's 32 pounds altogether so far. The adventure has just begun!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 821 views
Canadian Surgens?
Balla · 0 replies · 807 views