Dumb Sh*t People Say about surgery...add yours

lisainphilly
on 6/14/08 5:20 am - Philadelphia, PA
I can't believe the amount of stupid, ignorant things people say to you when they learn you are going to have/or have had WLS. Here's the dumbest I've got so far from a neighbor: (I'm one week pre-op and have been on only liquids for over a week) "you look like you've lost a few pounds" me "I have, it's the liquid diet I've been on for the WLS" "well, why have the surgery then, just keep drinking just liquids" me "could YOU live the rest of your life on just liquids?! (btw, the woman speaking with me is over 200 lbs herself) "well, no, but I'm sure you could eat lettuce too" WTF?
Shelly W.
on 6/14/08 6:36 am - Sumner, WA
Oh ya, there is a lot of that mentality around. But I just attribute it to ignorance. Think about where we were a while back (at least for me). I always blamed myself for not being able to lose weight. I mean that's what we learned for years...that it's our fault and we should be able to do this ourselves. She's still in that place and is probably justifying why she's not doing something about it. People still think the answer is losing weight, but that's not the real challenge, the real challenge is being able to keep it off. I don't have anything additional to add about stupid comments except that I got the same comment from my skinny as a rail DD. Educational moment.
belleflo
on 6/15/08 10:53 am - Anna, TX
Don't forget the comment that I have received twice in the last week, "that's nice (the surgery), but I'm gonna have to lose my weight the hard way".
lisainphilly
on 6/16/08 7:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
You know what Belle, those people remind me of the definition of insanity, which is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. So why they continue to yo-yo back and forth, you can smile knowing that you took the road less travelled. (and take comfort in knowing that people are stoooopid, and you're not)
knittermom
on 6/15/08 2:02 pm - Sacramento, CA
The one I get (from other morbidly obese people) is "I know lots of people who have had THAT surgery and have gained all their weight back!" It's beyond me why people are so discouraging. Good Luck with your surgery. Mine is on Tuesday!
psst567
on 6/15/08 7:59 pm - Elizabethtown, KY
A previous co-worker who is also obese, decided to inform me I was taking the easy way out (regarding weight loss):crazy: , so I replied well if this is going to be so easy then we can do it together and of course she replies with if I'm going to lose weight I'll do it the right way so it stays off. My position there was eliminated in March (God-send), I can't wait to go visit after my first 100 pound loss. My surgery is on June 23rd. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site, I love it. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!
Itzalboutmenow !
on 6/16/08 7:26 am - Palmdale, CA
4-5 yrs out I could care less what people say...... it's the looks I get that my 28 inch waist is still that small that counts......... eat that! lol, we all went through it, I had this little thing from work tell me how CRAZY I was to do something this crazy...... just to loose weight, a year later she opologized as she said she had no idea how over weight I was until I lost the 150 lbs....... so, just keep doing what your doing, the media makes me nuts with the oh the people are turning in to drunks, well duh, if you now drink every time you want to eat, guess what........ AA awaits you, you have to face your monsters in order for this to work, August 8, I will have 20 years clean and sober and now to not eat EVERY feeling away... lol only some of them....... it's a blessing.... that's what WLS was for me a blessing........ that's my side of the story.. Kelly
lisainphilly
on 6/16/08 8:06 am - Philadelphia, PA
Kelly, you loo FAN-FRICKING-TASTIC and when I look as good as you everyone can say whatever they like and I won't care! haha thanks for the inspiration!!!! LisainPhilly
lisainphilly
on 6/16/08 7:52 am - Philadelphia, PA
I'd like for just ONE of THOSE people who say we are taking the easy way out to last more than two days on this liquid diet. I didn't even go through the surgery yet, I imagine that's a thousand times harder. people are stupid. If ONE more person says to me "why don't you just eat less and excersize" I'm going to vomit my slimfast all over them. If I could do this myself, I would have. and btw, why is it that overweight people seem to be the most discouraging. One aquaintence of mine (who weighs over 400 pounds) said "don't have that surgery, it's irreversible" who the hell would want to reverse it anyway. sorry, I get snappy about 8 days into a liquid diet....surgery is Monday the 23rd, I hope I make it without hurting anyone who offers their unsolicited and unwanted advice. I think the people who are so against the surgery, especially our obese brethren, are just scared at the thought that you have to give up overeating. Misery loves company.
Despinasdream
on 6/16/08 10:09 am - Lakeville, MA
I got one how about the dumb asses that say just try harder...your not going to the gym enough...eat less....walk more...gee I would if I could I'm 254 wtf idiots after I had my kids my body did not drop this freaking weight...so now at 49 I'm getting this tool to lose this weight forever...it's my time...I swear people are just jelaous... screw them it's all about US now....
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 821 views
Canadian Surgens?
Balla · 0 replies · 807 views