Tricare dilemma!!

1squishy
on 6/11/08 10:09 am
HELP...i have 40bmi but few/little secondary problems and have Tricare...will i get approved?
knittermom
on 6/12/08 5:43 am - Sacramento, CA
You should be OK with a 40, just don't go below it until you are approved! Make sure you use everything you can think of in your medical history - rashes, depression, stress incontinence, joint and spine pain, high blood pressure, etc. Most insurance companies just want more than one co-morbid if you are between 35 and 40 bmi. Good Luck!
Angela K.
on 6/17/08 8:55 am - Mary Esther, FL
Tricare approved me and I was 40.5 going in. I have lost some weight due to pre-op diet and am now down to 38. I didn't have all of the major co-morbidities that go along with being overweight. I actually thought Tricare would deny me. I do have arthritis in the hands though so don't know if that helped me or not. I have back pain, pain in the weight bearing joints and GERD. My PCM thinks I may have sleep apnea but I have never been tested for it. He actually wanted me to come back next week and see about having a sleep study. I am having surgery on June 25. Overall, I found Tricare to be very easy to work with. I was approved in less than 2 weeks. Good luck and keep me posted!! Angela
Julie Nolan
on 6/21/08 12:05 am - RI
Hi Sandy, I have Tricare and had my RNY on June 4th. Tricare doesn't necessarily go according to BMI. They go by 100 lbs over ideal weight with A co-morbidity -OR- 200lbs over (or 2x) your ideal weight without a co-morbidity. Do you see several doctors *****commend this surgery for you? If so, have them write a letter for you. It's also in the hands of your surgeon who writes that final letter of request to Tricare. To speed things along, I contacted Tricare Case Management and got in touch with the Transitional Care Nurse who approves/denies authorizations here in RI. You can do the same by calling 1-800-977-7961. Also, Tricare requires a Thyroid blood test prior to approving your submittal! There's nothing on any of the Tricare or HealthNet Federal Services sites that say this. They want to rule-out problems with your thyroid so make sure your PCP or surgeon sends you for this immediately. I hope this has helped in some way. Good luck to you. Jules
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 821 views
Canadian Surgens?
Balla · 0 replies · 807 views