Is the effectiveness of Prozac affected post-op?

Eileen M.
on 2/21/05 8:06 am - Seattle, WA
I was wondering if any long-term prozac people (me since 1990) have noticed a decline in the effectiveness of the prozac after gastric bypass (proximal)? I've been slipping into the traditional signs of depression with lack of interest in usual activities and out of the blue weepy sessions over my father's death -- in 1989. I had my surgery 6/1/2004. All has gone well from the beginning. Have any other gastric bypass patients been switched off prozac and to a different anti-depression med after the bypass? ...Eileen
mm3125
on 2/22/05 1:07 am - McCammon, Id
I've been on prozac as long as you and had surgery a month after--I haven't seen any difference. Could it be that you didn't deal completely with his death at that time and/or other issues are arising because of the weight loss? I have realized lately that I feel very vulnerable 100 pounds lighter--quite an amazing revelation. If you continue to slip into depression, see your doc!! Marian
Tracey L.
on 2/26/05 11:11 am - Lakebay, WA
I can't answer your question, but I'd like to add to this thread. I quit my Prozac (10 years use) 6 months before surgery, as my life was more calm and I wanted to see how I did. I was pretty stable, in my opinion, though my DH would always say "You need your prozac" everytime I got upset or angry or ruffled in life. sigh. This past month (I'm almost 9 months out, down 105#) I was feeling very blue....didn't want to go to work, crying alot, etc......so I went back on my Prozac. I feel much better already, after a week of use. I take 20 mg in morning, and 10 mg in evening......and I feel much better. My doctor is concerned about malabsorption and is checking to see if lab can do a prozac level test. Best to you, Tracey
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views