My Father Didn't Know Me!

Sherry S.
on 12/11/04 10:02 pm - Buna, TX
I had my surgery on June 8th 2004. The weight loss has just been awesome and it is happening so fast. I began at 453 lbs and in a wheelchair unable to walk and breath, was completely dependent on others for my every need. I now weigh in at 273 lbs. and am walking all the time (no more wheelchair for me) and no trouble breathing, I am living again and loving every minute. I have lost a total of 180 lbs in only 6 months!! I visited friends and family this Thanksgiving and it was a blast to see their reactions to my weight loss and what it has done for me. The best reaction was from my father. (I am a daddys girl) I had not seen my father since 2 months prior to my surgery in June so he had no idea how much I had changed. He knew the numbers but didn't imagine just how much different those numbers would make me look. I had just arrived at my parents home and was in their yard with two of my sisters and my mom when dad walked out on the porch. He knew someone was there but no one had told him it was me. He looked my direction and said, "hello" and then looked away. I said, "hello" and thought it was strange the way my father was treating me. Suddenly he looked back at me and his mouth fell open and he said, "Dee? Is that you?" He didn't recognize me by looks but he knew my voice when I said hello. At that I laughed and told him it really was me and then with tears of happiness in my eyes I spun around so he could get a good look at his new healthier and happier daughter. He said, "Oh my God! You have changed so much, I didn't even recogonize you until you spoke!" Then before I could get to the porch where he was, he come to me with this huge smile on his face and gave me a big hug and told me I was beautiful and that he is so proud of me. For me this has to be the best compliment ever.
ejarbaby
on 12/12/04 12:07 am - Omaha, NE
What a wonderful story! This brought a tear to my eye! Congradulations on your success so far. And here's to continued success! Cathy -89
marypoco
on 12/12/04 5:12 am - amherst, MA
What a sweet story. I got a lump in my throat reading it. thank God for this surgery! I'm so happy for you!!! YOU go girl!! ~Mary 6/8/04 also! down 90lbs from highest
Smile
on 12/14/04 6:52 am - Buffalo, MN
OK,tears are rolling down my face!!!!!!! I BET THAT WAS THE BEST FEELING EVER!!!!!!!! How wonderful for you. I am so proud of you....and I don't even know you. WAY TO GO HONEY!!!!!!! LeAnn
Sherry S.
on 12/14/04 3:47 pm - Buna, TX
It was the best feeling ever!! I still get misty eyed just thinking about that day and what happened. I still see myself as I was before the surgery, I guess it will take a while for my mind to catch up to my body. It surprises me to no end when something like what happened with my father happens. Thanks so much for your comments. I wasn't sure if anyone would read this post.
tcarol
on 12/15/04 1:01 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
Dear Sherry, Wow, your story sure did bring (happy) tears to my eyes when I read it. I too am a Daddy's girl and get to see my Dad on a weekly basis so the changes aren't so dramatic for him. I get a lot of compliments from many people, but I love seeing how proud my Dad is of my accomplishments the most. He never lets me forget how beautiful he thinks I am. I don't think many Dads completely understand how important they are to their daughters. Congratulations Sherry! We are all proud of you! Terri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views