plateau already??? 4 months out

chrsam195
on 9/30/04 1:48 am - McDonough, GA
hello everyone My name is Arlene. I had my surgery on June 8th 2004. I had an open RNY with a fobio pouch. So I am almost 4 months out. I have lost 75 lbs in that time. My question is this - I have not lost any weight in 3wks. I weight 210.5 lbs I go up or down 1 pd. Why haven't I lost any weight in 3 wks??? I know that you do hit plateau later on like around 1yr to 1 1/2 yr out but 4months?????? But I have to say also that I started to work out too in that 3wks time, I work out 3x a week. So does that have to do something with it??? fat turning into muscle -- heavier??? My starting weight was 285. I am doing good I know but I am worry that is this ALL that I am going to lose. Thanks so much for your answers and for this Forum!!! Arlene
marypoco
on 9/30/04 2:32 am - amherst, MA
Hi Arlene, I too had my surgery on june 8th. And I too have been at a standstill for about 3 weeks. perhaps it is a mini plateau?? I don't know. I do know that I seem to be loosing inches but, that darn weight still say's the same old thing. I am down 55 lbs from my start weight of 260. My doctor say's I'm right on track. I went yesterday. I'm taking my vitamins, I'm exercising and I'm staying away from most carbs. I only eat things like pretzels, and popcorn occasionally. I really haven't eaten breads or potatoes or rice for those are my danger foods. I used to eat WAY too much of them. So my point being, If we're doing everything we're suppose to do and we are at a stand still it's probably our bodies adjusting? What do you think?? My best~ Mary
NANCY S.
on 10/9/04 5:52 am - PETERSBURG, VA
You must be my soul mate. I weighed like 253 to begin with. I lost 55 lbs and then it stopped. That was about 2 to 3 weeks ago. Now it has started again I am down 59 lbs. now Yes I do think the body goes through adjusting before it moves on. This process will continue to work for some time so I am told. Hang in there....
Sassy Cathy
on 9/30/04 10:37 pm - Staunton, IL
Hi Arlene~ I had my surgery just a day before you and I hit my first plateau at about 4 weeks out. Just our body's way of adjusting to all the great new stuff going on is what my surgeon said. As for muscle weighing in on that, it's true, muscle does weigh more than fat and if you've been increasing muscle size then that could be a factor, too. I started out at the same weight as you and have lost 68 pounds and am so loving this! Wishing you the best of luck on the rest of your journey!! Huggzz, Cathy
Carmen T.
on 9/30/04 11:15 pm - Columbia, SC
First of all, great job on what you have lost so far. I think the plateaus are just your body's way of adjusting. I had a 3 week one at about 2 mos out and didn't loose any weight at all. Last week I gained 2 pounds then lost 3 this week. Who the hell knows what our bodies are doing? Keep exercising and keep getting in your protien and water. Also, take your measurements, when the scales aren't moving it is encouraging to see the inches falling off. Also, find something that is too small now and try it one every week or so. I have this lavendar shirt that looked like a tight vest it was so small....I couldn't even get the buttons to meet. It was really encouraging when I tried that on every week or so and saw that it was getting closer to fitting. And last week I put it on and it actually fit well enought to wear in public : ) Just be encouraged, your plateau will pass. I know I am going to hit one soon too. . . . . Carmen LAP RNY 6/2 293/227/170?
Lpaekc
on 10/1/04 12:19 am - Montague, MI
Hi Arlene, I hit that plateau too my surgery was on June 8th also ... it was the longest 3-4 weeks!!!!! I'm losing again now. Our bodies just have to reajust to whats going on... its normal and will pass. Great weight loss by the way!
Sherry S.
on 10/1/04 1:03 am - Buna, TX
WOW!! I am glad to know I am not alone in this plateau thing. I had my surgery on June 8th and this is my second and longest plateau. I began swimming for 2 hours daily 3 weeks ago and my weight loss come to a complete stop. The tape measure hasn't moved nor has the scales. When I wasn't working out the weight was falling off. My workout is vigorous and fun and I thought it would help me lose the weight even faster, but I seem to have been sadly mistaken. I drink lots of water and get 60g of protein per day. I eat like my Doctor told me to and hardly ever fudge on my eating. If I find myself wanting to "graze" I find something to occupy me so I won't think about eating. I won't stop, but it is frustrating that nothing is happening and I can't seem to get the weight to start falling away again. Sherry
tinsa427
on 10/4/04 9:55 am - Mandan, ND
KEEP IN MIND THAT MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT. WITH YOUR RECENT ADDITION OF THE WORKOUTS, YOU MAY BE BUILDING MUSCLE MASS AND THAT WOULD ACCOUNT FOR THE SCALE NOT TO MOVE. YOU MAY NOTICE INCHES SHIFTING FOR AWHILE BEFORE THE SCALES DROPS AGAIN.
Sharon A.
on 10/4/04 10:01 am - Warren, MI
I also hit a plateau. I had my surgery on June 17 and am down 130 lbs but i started out at 429 so I would lose a lot faster than most initially. I hit a plateau at 3 mos that lasted 3 weeks then I dropped 16 in one week then gained 6 back but i was also on steroids at the time. I haven't been able to work out yet but am doing a lot of house cleaning. i am hitting another plateau now and hope it will break soon. I do log my food religiously even when i have had some treats. the nutritionist said to stay at 60 grms of protein and that too many of the foods were too high in fat so now i am trying to stay at 900 cal a day per her instructions. Just keep looking at how far you have come and keep look at the positives. it should get moving again soon
Kathy B.
on 10/6/04 1:43 pm - Folsom, CA
Hi, I just started losing again after a 2 week plateau where not only did I not lose, but I gained 4 pounds. (So not fair!) Anyway, I went on vacation this weekend and from Friday to Tuesday I lost 8 pounds. I have no idea what happened to change the standstill, but I will take it. Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views