I have a favor to ask of you . . .

MzH
on 9/19/04 2:02 am - LOSERLAND, MD
Hey Barb, I was never hungry until the last couple of weeks. I still don't think it's hunger, it's more head hunger because when I leave the table, it's gone. I think since my third month, I've liked looking at food and thinking "oh, I think I want that" Then when I actually get the opportunity to have it, I pass on it. It just is unappealing once it hits my plate if it isn't protein. I also seem to want to graze lately (since the 3rd month) but I am using sugar free popsicles when that hits. Once again, I think it's in my head. My kids say that I act like Hitler if I don't get at least two meals a day in. I have actually been busy and forgotten to eat all day a few times. Let me tell you, before June 11th 2004, THAT WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED! Barb, my nutritionist told me that the most I should ever be able to eat would be 1-1 &1/2 cups of food. She also said that that would be after my pouch was done growing after 18 months or so. What did your Dr. say? My pre-op nurse had WLS two years before me and said the most she could eat was 1 cup at a time. She's about a size 1 or 3. Incidently, "Loserland Maryland" is 12 miles south of Washington DC. Near Waldorf and Accokeek. Good Luck with the surgeon this week. You need some answers. Hannah
Allyson H.
on 9/24/04 12:46 am - San Jose, ca
Hi barbara I have the same thing going on I think my pouch is to big too please let me know what your doc has to say . my doc said he give eveyone the same size I wish I knew this I thought it was all the same size for all doc I am realy up set so I bet I know how you feel allyson
B.J.
on 9/24/04 3:34 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
Hi Allyson, thanks for responding. I feel angry and letdown at the same time, I don't think I got what I (er, my insurance) "paid" for. I am losing weight, so the malabsorption part of the procedure is definitely in place, but they say that after a year or so out, the intestines begin absorbing again as they adapt. After reading what everyone else is eating portion-wise, I have been very careful and weighing and measuring everything. Sometimes I am still hungry after a "meal" and other times I'm not. Loading with water during non-meal times of day does not make me full as it runs right through me. I have been reading profiles where ladies are getting revisions for enlarged stomas by having a lap band placed . . . but depending on how large your stoma is, and the space the surgeon has to work with . . . that might not be an option for everyone. Also, if I am losing weight regardless, there's no way insurance will pick up costs for a revision. I will let you know what my surgeon has to say next week! -BJ
memaw23
on 9/19/04 3:32 pm - Abbott, TX
I know all of our docs are different. Mine says no protein drinks at all, no snacking at all, no sweet drinks, nothing to drink with meals, 64 to 80 ounces of water. Eat a late morning meal, protein first, no beef or pork. No breads, or pasta, or citrus fruit for six months. At 3 months I can have veggies and fruit (try to avoid starches and no fried foods). For each 2 bites of protien I can have a bite of veg/fruit. And if I get hungry before late afternoon or early eve. I'm to drink some more water and get my mind off of the food. Some days I think I'm hungrier, and the water doesn't help, and I'll eat 2 - 4 little cubes of cheese, or a tsp. of PB. But here is what I eat. 1 egg sometimes with 2 tsp of grated cheese, sometimes boiled and mashed with a little mayo and relish (not fried). 1/4 cup cottage cheese with a rinsed slice of lite peach or pear. the meat from 1 crab leg with mayo and relish w/ 2-3 crackers (not suppose to do stratches).3 - 4 med. shrimp fixed however. about 1/4 of a lean cusine entre. Refried beans with cheese. Chilli (homemade). I normally eat 2 meals a day, and max 1/2 cup of all of it together, I would say about 2 oz. most of the time. I think I would like some mac & cheese from Luby's. I tried humber with out the bun, it was hard to chew and I could only do aboout 1/2 of a very thin patty 2 bites of tomato and a bite of lettuce. Good luck with your visit. Hope this helps.
B.J.
on 9/20/04 1:52 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
Bonnie, thank you, the info is very helpful to me. I am printing out everyone's responses and taking them with me to the surgeon appointment on Wednesday. Hopefully I will get some straight answers from him. I was reviewing the last dietary sheet he sent me home with . . . basically I'm cleared to eat any/all foods, and the only guidelines he gave was to stay within 15-20 fat grams per day, don't eat any foods that list "sugar" in the first three ingredients. No mention of watching out for carbs, or portion size recommendations. It is interesting to read what other surgeons are recommending! -BJ
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views