Stomach stretched ??

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/04 12:00 pm - Middleboro, MA
I have a question, not sure if anybody can answer... How much can your stomach stretch after surgery ?? Also, if you go back to just doing liquids does your stomach shrink like your old stomach use to do ?? How do you know if you have overeaten if nothing seems to bother you ?? Sometimes I feel like a ate too much. My stomach doesn't really make me sick. I don't dump from overeating.. I don't have stomach pain or nausea, none of the symptons others have had problems with ?? I know I can't eat more than 4 oz. of meat, but then I have veggies with it.. Mashed pot. or squash or both.. So, it bothers me that I may be eating too much ?? I am post-op by two and a half mos. I am still losing, but oh sooo slowly.. Does anybody have any answers or suggestions about this.. I've never heard anyone discuss their stomach shrinking or stretching too much.. Thanks in advance for your replys !! Joanne
Kori
on 8/21/04 12:56 pm - Westminster, CO
maybe you are stretching your meals too long. Digesting as you eat. I think the max meal time (at least on my particular program) is 15 minutes. That way you don't digest and free up space as you go.. Just my thoughts on the subject. When in doubt, email your nutritionist. Good luck Korianne
MzH
on 8/22/04 2:23 am - LOSERLAND, MD
Hi, My plan also calls for the 15 minute rule. Also, them MAX of everything meat and veggies for me is supposed to be 4 ozs total. I haven't hit that yet as I am still at about two tablespoons. Sometimes a little more if it is soft. My Dr's office had to tell me that when I feel bubbling in my chest/ chest after the meal, I needed to cut back and eat less. So far that helps. Hope some of what I said helps. Also check out Pouch Rules for Dummies. I love that site. H
KissDallas
on 8/23/04 3:57 am - Philadelphia, PA
I feel the SAME WAY!!! I feel like I am eating too much, I am about 2 months post op, and my weight loss has slowed down, I think I need to stay on the 15 minute rule,
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/04 12:34 pm - Middleboro, MA
Hi Tameka, I'm with you !! I was told to eat very slooowly. It is suppose to take me no less than 35-40 min. to eat my meals, but for the life of me, lately, I can not stretch my meals out that long... I'd say 20 min. is all I can do !! So, I think the 15 min. rule would work for me too !! I hate to go against what I have been told to do, but I wished I knew what to do about this hungar.. I was told I can eat anything also, but carbs. are getting me in trouble.. The more carbs. I eat, the more carbs. I want ! This is not a good thing... I think this is why the wt. has slowed down.. I told my nutritionist this carb. thing is not working for me !! That's when all the wt. loss slowed down to a snail's pace !! That's why I'm concerned that I am eating too much.. She figures I am eating about 1000 cal. Before I had this surgery, if I ate more than 800 cal. I couldn't lose wt. and that's about what I'm doing now... Getting stuck without seeing any progress !! That's why I was wondering if I went back to liquids if I would see better losses ?? I wished I knew what to do !! I'm lucky if I see 1lb. a week.. This is really bothering me.. It didn't seem to bother my nutritionist, though..
KissDallas
on 8/24/04 12:52 am - Philadelphia, PA
I increased my water intake today, I wont let myself eat anything until I drink 32oz of water, then I'll have breakfast, I gotta remember to get in all of my water...hopefully this helps
MzH
on 8/24/04 6:20 am - LOSERLAND, MD
Guys, check out the link to pouch rules for dummies. It explains real wellhttp://www.nikkiinmd.com/pouch_rules.htm.
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/04 10:41 am - Middleboro, MA
Hi "H" !! I see you had your surgery about the same time as us... I did check out "pouch rules for dummies" Which was very helpful... But, it didn't tell me if it's possible for your new pouch to shrink if you go back to liquids ?? It did say, if I read it correctly, that 1 1/2 cups of food should be the maximum amt. of food that we will ever consume on a daily basis.. if we are staying within the confines of the rules.. I was also told 1200 cal. will be the max. amt. of cals. we should eat.. And that brings me back to one of my original observations, that if I eat that mu*****al. I will put on wt.. So, exercising is suppose to counter-act that consumption, I assume.. Exercising, to be honest, isn't something that I can stay with.. I start off good and then slack off. Much like dieting, I am told that this is as common as the diet itself.. That's why these exercise places pop up everywhere, cuz people drift away.... And they continue to get the money !! So, how are you doing ?? Has your wt. loss slowed down or are you still pretty steady with the lbs. lost ??
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/04 10:41 am - Middleboro, MA
Hi "H" !! I see you had your surgery about the same time as us... I did check out "pouch rules for dummies" Which was very helpful... But, it didn't tell me if it's possible for your new pouch to shrink if you go back to liquids ?? It did say, if I read it correctly, that 1 1/2 cups of food should be the maximum amt. of food that we will ever consume on a daily basis.. if we are staying within the confines of the rules.. I was also told 1200 cal. will be the max. amt. of cals. we should eat.. And that brings me back to one of my original observations, that if I eat that mu*****al. I will put on wt.. So, exercising is suppose to counter-act that consumption, I assume.. Exercising, to be honest, isn't something that I can stay with.. I start off good and then slack off. Much like dieting, I am told that this is as common as the diet itself.. That's why these exercise places pop up everywhere, cuz people drift away.... And they continue to get the money !! So, how are you doing ?? Has your wt. loss slowed down or are you still pretty steady with the lbs. lost ??
MzH
on 8/24/04 2:22 pm - LOSERLAND, MD
All of your points are valid about excersise and dieting. The way I figure, you probably have not stretched your pouch too much so I would go back to liquids and start over. It will at least give you a sense of control over the whole situation. And will probably help. So far the maximum I've been able to eat has been 3 tablespoons and generally that makes me misserable with acid reflux. My weight loss continues to amaze me. In my 2 months I have lost 50 pounds more now but I have gone from a size 20/22 to a size 12 pants and large/medium shirt. Read my profile though. I follow the directions to a T. I figure this was my last chance. I will NOT go through this again. (I'm certainly not perfect. I have cheated just to see what would happen) I spent too many hours brousing the revisions board and see what pain they are all in. I don't think 1200 calories will cause us to gain. Just the business of everyday living burns that many calories. We just can't go over that. Frankly, I'm having a heck of a time getting in 500 right now so I don't think we'll get in trouble with 1200. Some pouches never stretch up to the 1 1/2 cup mark too so maybe we will be that lucky. I hope I answered everything. If not, email me. H
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views