When can they/ I tell ???

Sheryl H.
on 8/21/04 11:13 am - The Real Heart of Texas, TX
I will be two months post op tomorrow and have only lost 30 pounds. I am depressed about same. When can I or anyone else tell I have lost an appreciable amount of weight ? My rings/shoes/panties are looser a bit and my face is a bit less puffy but I still have back pains and feet pains and for the most part can tell nothing. Down from a size 3x to 2x but I am starving all the time. Most folks have lost almost twice as much as I and I am still eating way too much as you can infer from my post of.."I NEED TO BE FUSSED AT." Any help would be greatly appreciated. SHeryl H
bubbleboo K.
on 8/21/04 12:25 pm - anywhere, OK
Hi Sheryl, I am 10 weeks out and have lost 40 lbs. I had hoped for more, but that is not to be. I am one of those "slow" losers, always have been. My body just loves fat, being fat and doesn't want to let go of it. It can be so hard reading about others who have lost much more in the same amount of time, but what can we do? I think part of the situation has to do with our body chemistry, heredity, and age. I know the youger people lose faster...if I could only turn back the clock. lol. I think you are doing great. Just remember to get in enough protein, I try for at least 80, and water, not to forget exercise. I eat between 600 and 800 calories most days. Sometimes I feel like I eat too much, but if I cut back I will not lose at all. There is a web site thinnerself.com that is really good. You can find out where you are on the losing scale. The site says I need to lose 2.33 lbs a week to reach my goal of 140 by my 1 yr. anniversary. So far I have exceeded that amount, mainly due to what I lost in the first 3 weeks, but if I can reach my goal in a years time I will take it and be happy for it. As of this past week I have went from a size 24 jean to a 20 with rooom to spare in the seat and thight, the waist is a teeny bit snug, that spare tire. 22 top to an 18. I have also gone down a shoe size and from a wide with to a meduim width. This has made me feel very good. It was great to go to the store and buy off the ladies rack. Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself.
MzH
on 8/22/04 2:34 am - LOSERLAND, MD
CONGRATS TWIN! I'm down 52 but it has taken an hour everyday on the treadmill. H
Yes Its Me
on 8/21/04 11:29 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Sheryl, Don't beat yourself up. I've also been a "slow" loser as soon as my third post -op week hit me. It sure is depressing when you see the others losing twice that much, but I can assure you, I've discussed this with my nutritionist and we are absolutely on target. One point my nutritionist made, is the fact that we did NOT put it on overnight. Some lose quickly, others are slower. I tend to stick at one weight for a week or two and then drop ten pounds in like three days. I'm getting used to it now and I am really not concerned any more that I won't get to my goal. It might take me 18 months while some make it there in 6 months. On the brighter side, the slower you lose, the more time your skin has to adjust and you're not left with the hanging skin like those who lose 100 lbs in 4 months. I've noticed all my clothes that were tight before surgery, are now so loose they are really unattractive. All the Pants now just pull over my hips, I don't have to unbutton them, one pair even falls off and I have to wear a belt just to keep it up. I refuse to purchase a new size every time things get a little loose, but I guess I'll need to get some next month, or I will end up with one of those " pants fell right off of me" experiences sooner or later. I've worn 30/32 and 4x... now I wear some old 24s and 2xls from the closet comfortably. It takes time, but just don't get discouraged. It will happen, so don't be so hard on yourself. Everybody loses at a different rate, and those of us who were "only" at 300 lbs are slower than those in the 400s. Good luck to you, and rest assured you are not the only one Andrea 334(highest)305(pre-op)/268/140
MzH
on 8/22/04 3:13 am - LOSERLAND, MD
Hi Sheryl, I read your original post and told my Dr's staff about it at my 2 month check on the 18th. They were very concerned that your pouch is getting stretched. I've copied a part of your post for others that missed it. "two eggs and piece of ham and a packet of oatmeal for breakfast. At about 1:00 I can eat two Taco bell tacos....at about 6:oo I can eat baked fish and half an acorn squash. In between I eat pistacho nuts..about 20 for two snacks. I drink over 64 oz of water/crystal lite..etc. Have had no alcohol but do drink the occasional diet soda. Down 28 pounds and have just joined Curves to help with the plateau.....Here is the kicker.....I DO NOT DUMP !!! I ate an ice cream sandwich by mistake( thought it was one of my sugar free ones) and did not dump.. I can eat half a Scholtskies pastrami and swiss on rye without difficulty... in another setting have half a Pizza Hut personal pizza..and seem to not have trouble with bread at all in" I was stunned! Didn't your nutritionist or your Dr give you a list of what not to touch and what to eat and when? I have never been allowed to eat more than 4 tablespoons at the very most. That is the TOTAL. So far, I'm able to eat little over 2 tablespoons per meal and no snacks. I was told no bread, no noodles, no rice until after my third month. I'm very afraid of bread as it swells in the pouch. I have not thrown up yet but dumping for me consists of cramps, sleepieness, and finally diarrhea. Very unpleasant. So far it only happens when I eat fried foods. I've tried sugarless candy and just about threw up. I drank lemonade with sugar in it and got the dry heaves. I think the sugar fear is just a head thing right now. Another thing that bothered me was that I felt hungry in my head but my pouch had no feeling for at least the first month. It couldn't even tell me that it was full. I had to be told by the office staff that when I had acid reflux, that meant I needed to cut back. I cut back to two tablespoons and it went away. I don't mean to preach but I think someone was irresponsible about instructing you on your pouch rules. Please go to the site and read pouch rules for dummies. It will help. Hang in there. H
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views